Time to stock up, what do I need

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, well we are in deep winter here in Scotland, and I have about an inch of ice on my pond, not seen the fish since November, hoping they are sleeping sound in their tunnel.
I want to get all stocked up with the things I will need ready for march time, so what should I buy for my pond store.
I know I need a proper pond test kit, (only used the test strip) but what else should I get, eg to deal with changing ph levels, fish disease , nitrate/nitrite levels etc.
I just want to make sure I have everything I may need to keep the pond healthy .
I am looking to stock it around March time with shubunkins and a few Koi.
I came into a very small amount of money recently so want to use it to buy what I need.
Please , any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gav

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you keeping an air exchange hole open in the ice?
Hi Smaug, I run my water feature for 1 hour each day and I also use warm water at the other end of the pond to keep a hole in the ice.
Will definitely be making an aerator part of my purchase list .
Thanks for the post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Baking soda to raise the Ph in an emergancy, API Pond Master test kit, API Nitrate test kit , Small bottles of Formalin, Malachite, Acriflavin Net sock and 22" flat koi net, Benching bowl [for close observation ] Microscope x40-x 1024.with occular fish health books .
That will do for a start with you Gavin, I could go on some more if you wish mate ;)
Here in Plymouth under my policarbonate roofing sheets we have a temperature of 8c, [my friend Lee's pond is at 1c uncovered] but no ice .
Remember to keep that hole open 24/7 ......
Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, well we are in deep winter here in Scotland, and I have about an inch of ice on my pond, not seen the fish since November, hoping they are sleeping sound in their tunnel.
I want to get all stocked up with the things I will need ready for march time, so what should I buy for my pond store.
I know I need a proper pond test kit, (only used the test strip) but what else should I get, eg to deal with changing ph levels, fish disease , nitrate/nitrite levels etc.
I just want to make sure I have everything I may need to keep the pond healthy .
I am looking to stock it around March time with shubunkins and a few Koi.
I came into a very small amount of money recently so want to use it to buy what I need.
Please , any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Gav
Gavin mate to buy your nets the sock net the pan net leaves net etc I recomend the company weve always use for our netting and nets.
For a pond netting option they can make you nets with bungee straps around and accross the centre of your pond to stop the net dropping down into the water.
All you need do is to just give them an idea of what your design is and the measurment for your pond and a few days later what you ordered will arrive in the post.
The sock nets etc are all at an affordable price and they last for many years before needing replacing as does the pond netting with our last lasting 6 whole years before it needed replacing [the bungee straps we found were still as sound as when we bought the netting and are very easyto salvage from the netting], weve found that they come in useful elseware for non fish uses .one eing over 20ft in l;ength the other 14 ft in length and are good on roof racks etc .

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/nets-online.php?category0=11297847

Dave

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a swimming pool net ,but a net is needed . Like said Aeration is the most important part of a clean pond and healthy fish

Ask a Question