Timer to set to stay off for 15 minutes!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. 1st post here. We have in indoor Rubbermaid tank for the winter and am looking for a "push & forget" timer solution that when activated will turn off the 110 volt filter for say 15 minutes and then automatically turn back on. This way the person that comes in to feed the fish daily while we're away can just push that button, feed them and walk away w/o having to stay and turn the pump/filter back on. This way there would be less turbulence while they're eating.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
"JB"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I dont think your fish will care if the pump is on. If they are hungry, they will eat no matter what.
My fish will eat right in the air stone bubbles or right around the splashing fountain or waterfall.

That being said....

There are many electronic plug-in minute/hour/day/daily programmable timers out there. They are quite common and inexpensive.

Even the very simple mechanical (non-electronic) cheaper ones people use for their table lamps have an override switch that resets when the pin is touched again by the moving clock face. So, your person feeding can just switch it off and it will reset on it's own once the "on" pin makes contact. They come with several removeable pins. Some to trip it on and some to trip it off.
Some timers have the pins built in. You lift or press them in for your desired action.
This is the type of timer you will probably want. Simple as can be and quite inexpensive. I have a bunch of these around my house.
Get them at your favorite box store, hardware store or online.

The only thing you'll want to make sure of is that the wattage of your pump/filter doesn't exceed the maximum wattage of the timer. I doubt this, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good idea - I would just have to fine enough "on" pins to cover the 12hrs time frame when they come. Will look around.

Thx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The better newer ones have the pins built in. You lift the ones you want to not engage and they each represent 15 minutes.
It's simpler than it sounds.

You set the pins, turn the dial to set the current time, plug the unit into the wall outlet and plug in the device you wish to control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
On 2nd thought this might not work as how would I know that the next pin to turn it on is 15 min away - it could be only a short time until it triggers to go on - I'll kee looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You are looking for a delay start timer. Most I know of require electric wiring knowledge and Iam also unsure if it can handle the wattage. You might also need a relay.

Also for your consideration is if it take 15 minutes for the fish to eat all the food you might be over feeding.

Shorter feeding time and just pulling the plug may work, but I don't know your set up.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum JB. How long are you going to be away? Healthy fish in good condition can handle at least a week and then some without food no problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I don’t know if this will be helpful or not but my fish live year round outdoors in a 300 gal Rubbermaid stock tank and I have never turned off the pump to feed them. However, it may be that I just use a much less powerful pump than you, but I get the needed filtration turnover without anything I would describe as “turbulence”, even with two small bogs and 1 ft waterfalls. While of course a timer would be the easier short term solution I wonder if long term it might be worth looking at if your pump is possibly overpowered for the size of your stock tank and making some adjustments there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All good points.

In my opinion, there is no need to turn off your pump when feeding.

There are also methods of vacation feeding.
They have time release vacation food that you just throw in. It dissolves over time, releasing food.
I believe there are also mechanical time release feeders.

And yes, your fish can go a while without actual feeding. They can nibble on algae and plants. A lot of people with goldfish don't feed at all. Koi are a different story. They need to be fed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1666632226007.gif
and welcome @JBM3238

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This time of year the fish are becoming less active, Though mine are still eating . Fish can go MONTHS WITHOUT FOOD. they also find food in algae that grows on everything. Unless your going away for 6 months i'd not waste your time insisting on feeding them. Humans like to eat three meals a day . Wild life eats when the opportunity makes it self available.

Ask a Question