Tiny bugs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I live in North Georgia and have a small waterfall/pond; have had it for 10+ yrs. This is the first time I have seen these. There are a ton of teeny tiny little knat type bugs on top of the water. They are alive. I was wondering if anyone might know what they could be and what I can do to get rid of them. Wondering what is causing them to be there. It is in the 40-50'ss here with lows in the 20-30's. I was thinking of adding algaecide maybe to kill them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is a sign of a health habitat more than likely. They very well may be nats and they are a nuisance more than anything else

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Catch a few and take them to your county extension office. They can tell you what they are and if you need to take action.
Really? That seems like an extreme reaction to what is likely a natural occurrence.

If you observe, they will probably only be there for a short time. Maybe they hatched in or near the water. Maybe they are in a cycle that requires them to be near water... who knows. But I've found most of these tiny creatures cause no harm - they're just enjoying what you've built as part of their natural world, which is awesome! Why kill them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would avoid the algaecide. There are several posts here from people who have lost all their fish after dosing their ponds with algaecide. Also you could be killing the only food source your fish have at this time of the year.

I agree with others to let them be. I can't imagine they are causing any harm.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Catch a few and take them to your county extension office. They can tell you what they are and if you need to take action.
Given my curious nature, I would probably catch a few just to learn something. Do you have a log protruding out of the water? They are probably springtails but it would be interesting to know. In my opinion, I would not do anything to eliminate them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Given my curious nature, I would probably catch a few just to learn something. Do you have a log protruding out of the water? They are probably springtails but it would be interesting to know. In my opinion, I would not do anything to eliminate them.
nope, no log

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are a ton of teeny tiny little knat type bugs on top of the water. They are alive
I get something like that now and then, a cluster of tiny bugs on the water. I ignore and they eventually go somewhere else or do what they do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I GET THEM AS WELL , but i find them more interesting than annoying. They fly skimming the surface and then they take flight and like a bait ball in the ocean they fly up and circle each other .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I GET THEM AS WELL , but i find them more interesting than annoying. They fly skimming the surface and then they take flight and like a bait ball in the ocean they fly up and circle each other .
Yep and then you walk through the cloud now and then and they never bother you ie eyes ears etc, just sort of move away.

Ask a Question