Tip for new ponds for clear water

Reaction score
I am still a very new pond owner and was ever batteling the effect of green water and algae. I had drained and scrubbed clean my pond 3 times before I realized I had inadequate filtration. Forget UV sterlizers and algae killing chemicals. Chemicals just killed my fish and I have not noticed any difference in using a UV sterlizer vs not using one. All I can advise from my many trial and errors is OVER FILTRATION. I have 4 filters hooked up to my pond now, filtering about 7,000 gallons per hour (my pond is about 5,000 gallons) so every hour I am filtering more than my entire pond. I am in Dallas, Texas and with the constant sunlight and 90 to 100+ heat we have here, I was growing algae out of control. Now that I have an overkill of filtration, my pond has been crystal clear for 4 weeks now and I have not lost one fish. So anyone building their pond you can never go wrong with over filtering your water. Hope this proves useful.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Glad you got it all under controll Kevin
Tell us about the filters you added

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
another tip for new ponds and filtration systems is to hang a mesh planter basket full of zeolite under your waterfall or somwhere with plenty of water flow (after your filter, not before) to keep ammonia levels to a minimum. zeolite does one thing and does it well , it absorbs ammonia. and can be recharged by soaking in a strong salt solution overnight. it got to be put after your filter or your filter will take longer to establish itself.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
concept is right but terminology is wrong...there is no such thing as too much filter!!!

I thought that was what I was going for was overkill filter.... LOL

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Glad you got it all under controll Kevin
Tell us about the filters you added

I bought 4 of these pressurized bio filters. 2 with UV, 2 without. I've ran the ones with UV only for about a week and the 2 without for a week. I see no difference. I have all 4 of them running now. they really seem to keep the water crystal clear.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 407
Reaction score
they are bio balls and big round sponges.

I have a laguna pressure filter that looks just like this. What size did you buy? 4 of these is quite a lot of 'em. I'm sure it's working well based on the number you've got going! Wait until you feel the pain of buying two new UV lamps next year...you might be able to get away with just one UV light working....those darned bulbs are crazy expensive.

I have a 55 gal drum and one of these press filters. I do like the press filter because you can just put it wherever you want, and I enjoy the backflush feature. I use the 55 gal barrel before my pump and the press filter after my pump for polishing/fines/bio.

They are handy.

Ask a Question