Tips for a Quarantine tank?

Reaction score
Hello all. I am getting reading to add 3-4 four new koi to the mix this spring and am having trouble figuring out how to set up the Quarantine tank. My initial thoughts were to use a 100 gallon stocktank, a tetra pump with a prefilter and fountain. And then my wife asked, "well how long are they gonna be in there?", to which I replied :). What is the typical time frame for QT and do I add meds? Never done this before and want to do it right. As always, thanks for your wisdom and insights, and happy ponding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My first QT was only 150 gallons, this is ok for small fish but the big ones need a bigger one.Without a cycled bio-filter you will need to do more frequent water changes, perhaps daily. An air pump w/ a stone would also be a good investment, but not required unless water temps are above 75 degrees. Test the water frequently. Ideally there will be 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and low nitrates. If your tests show any ammonia, do a partial water change. It might be necessary to add some type of ammonia binder like Amquel or Chloram-X.
The QT should have NO Salt level in the water prior to adding the new fish IF you are going to treat them with ProForm-C. Do not feed the new fish for the first two or three days.
The day the koi arrive float the bag in the qt for 1/2 hour, this is so they can adjust to temp changes. make sure you have a net or cover for the jumpers.
The QT should have NO Salt level in the water prior to adding the new fish IF you are going to treat them with ProForm-C.
Day 2 treat the water with ProForm-C per instructions for the 3 days. Do water changes per the ProForm-C instructions.
After 24 hours from last treating with ProForm-C, add salt to bring the salt level in the water to 0.1%. 1lb. of salt per 100 gal. of water = 0.1% level in water.
Next day, increase the salt level to 0.2%.
Day 4 of salting, increase the salt level to 0.3%. This salt level eliminates 7 of the 9 possible bad parasites very quickly. And it will not harm your filtering system.
After the proform-C I treat them with Praziquantel.
It's very important that two treatments of Praziquantel are done about 4 to 7 days apart - whatever the package directions say. This kills the babies that are born after the adults are killed. The salt has no effect on Praziquantel.
Them I leave them in the qt for 3 weeks

Reaction score
Thanks DoDad. I think only three new fish are coming (you never know till you get there), and had expected the long QT time. I have never added salt to my pond, since everyone I know doesn't. What type is safe to use?

Reaction score
koiguy, off topic, but I remember you talking about an alternative to bulkheads and can't seem to find the post that had the website link, I would love it if you still have it.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
mortons blue bag salt for water softeners..

what is a good level of salt to keep in your pond year round. i use salt in my aquariums and know it helps. but what is safe and good for ponds. it will be a highly planted pond as well so what will work with the plants?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
1 Lb. per 100 gallons is supposed to be .1%. However, since pond estimates are not always accurate. I would start with less, then check the concentration after a few hours.

.1% is safe year round and is supposed to be good for the color and health of Koi. Beware that some plants may not like it, so evaluate your water plants into the equation.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
POND SALT PRODUCTS
Why Use Salt? Pond Salt is an all-natural, made from evaporated seawater.

Reduces fish stress, Adds essential electrolytes, Improves gill function, Protects fish against nitrite toxicity, Can be used with medications to improve recovery from disease.

Pond fish actively maintain a natural balance of electrolytes in their body fluids. Electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, chloride, calcium and magnesium are removed from the water by chloride cells located in the gills. These electrolytes are essential for the uptake of oxygen and release of carbon dioxide and ammonium across gill membranes. The lack of electrolytes can cause health problems in pond fish. Pond Care POND SALT is an all-natural salt, providing essential electrolytes fish need to survive. POND SALT is not just a table salt (sodium chloride). It is made from evaporated seawater.

DOSAGE: For ponds with plants, 1-1/4 cup of salt for each 100 U.S. Gallons. Salt Level should be 0.1% For ponds without plants, 2-1/2 cups of salt for each 100 U.S. Gallons. Salt Level should be 0.2%

these are the rules i have followed for 2 years both outdoors with plants and indoors without plants...both with organica pond salt and motons solar salt.

Ask a Question