Tips for spring startup?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All the ice on my pond melted in the last 24 hours. I actually saw all my fish alive and well after not seeing them since last November. I thought it would be interesting for people to share ideas and tricks for a successful start up. This year I am running my pump and waterfall right away even though it is too early to hook up the filter. So far it seems to help keep the water fresher. What other ideas do people have?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are getting great rains, my pond has cleared up with the fresh water that the rain has given it. So maybe some new water , just exchange not all new.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you could put a laundry basket with pillow stuffing in it, under the fall ,you will be amazed

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did that DrCase and it works wonderfully and turns the stuffing soooooooo yucky green and leaves the pond simply clear and then all you do is take the basket out and do it again when the need arises :confused:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
another interesting tid bit never thought of that this fish book I am keeping of ideas and tips getting workout

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turning on your waterfall will lower you pond temps at night or whenever the air temps are lower than the pond temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
DoDad, I would think the benefits of adding oxygen to the water to avoid harmful buildup of bacteria from decaying organic material would greatly outweigh a few degrees lower temperature. Last year I waited and my pond smelled putrid from leaves that had fallen in over the winter. This year I seem to have avoided that problem.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
CometKeith said:
DoDad, I would think the benefits of adding oxygen to the water to avoid harmful buildup of bacteria from decaying organic material would greatly outweigh a few degrees lower temperature. Last year I waited and my pond smelled putrid from leaves that had fallen in over the winter. This year I seem to have avoided that problem.

i think thats why most net there ponds to stop the leaves getting in there in the first place ... and lots by pass there falls and just have a pipe going back into the pond so the water doesnt cool down as much :0)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just put my pump inside a crate with lava rock around it and no algae grows on the pump and it just has a short hose coming out the top .But the temps here also do not get that cold well except this past winter .We usually do not go below 20 degrees .I do not have a deicer but may get one when they put them on sale

Ask a Question