Tips needed for sawing a beveled edge on lumber

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will be working on the fencing for the turtle habitat and want to make some angles along the way, other than right angles. Will be using pressure treated decking boards.

We don't have a table saw or compound miter saw. All we have is a regular circular saw which can be adjusted for beveled cuts, but I've never done this before. Anyone have any tips that would help me?

Reaction score
Use the guide for your saw and a sharp blade.
ShowProductImage.aspx

Oh,and because you'll be sawing pressure treated wood,,,, wear a mask.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TM to be clear. are you needing to bevel the sides of the board or are you wanting to cut angles on the end of the boards?
Good question, so guess we had better clarify that.

image.jpg

Like the 3rd example above -- so I can make fencing at an angle. The other picture is how the pieces would fit together, though not in that shape, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Finally a question I can answer! If I were attempting to cut the boards and had no access to a miter saw, I would use your circular saw and get what is called a speed square. You can pick up a cheap plastic version at one of the home stores. Mark your board where you want to cut it, then place the saw on the mark, then as in the pic I attached, place the speed square up to the base of the saw, then make your cut, the square will help you guide the saw straight. I hope this is what you're asking.
speed square.jpg
square with saw.jpg

Reaction score
Good question, so guess we had better clarify that.

View attachment 74220

Like the 3rd example above -- so I can make fencing at an angle. The other picture is how the pieces would fit together, though not in that shape, LOL!
That being the case you won't be able to use that saw guide,a guide is for ripping not cross cutting. You can use square as Cnyle suggest, in fact you can use one for cutting nice square cuts with or without a bevel, however cutting your boards to the exact length you want using a square is a bit more complicated.You'll need to determine how much shorter to hold the square so the blade cuts the board at the exact length you want it.
You can just free cut a bevel cut on a line same as you might with a 90 deg cut, it does take a bit more skill or practice. The trick to free cutting on a line is to try and cut the line in half. And as I mentioned before, make sure your blade is nice and sharp, especially when cutting angles or bevels.

Reaction score
It is a bit complicated TM cutting a bevel. But I think what you're asking is how do you create the bevel with the circular saw? If so, your saw should have an adjustment on the plate that sits flat on the board. Am I on the right track TM? Should I go on?

Reaction score
Do a first cut to the length you need. Then bevel it. Remember, the width of the blade will be removed when you make the cut so be sure to account for it. I.e. leave the line.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is a bit complicated TM cutting a bevel. But I think what you're asking is how do you create the bevel with the circular saw? If so, your saw should have an adjustment on the plate that sits flat on the board. Am I on the right track TM? Should I go on?

Fishy love is on the right track. Most hand circular saws and jigsaws have a adjustable plates or skids that can be adjusted to allow beveled cuts. It depends on how much of a bevel you need as some hand helds are limited. Also, you will lose some depth of cut due to the angle so you might to be able to cut all the way through the same thicknesses of wood that you are used to.

Here's a video on doing it. However, make sure the bulk of the saw is resting on the wall that is secured, not on the piece that will drop off. The carpenter in this video did that backwards. He can get away with it but if the saw is at all heavy for you it may slip down and you can lose your grip on it or you might prematurely break off the piece instead of cutting it off cleanly.

Ask a Question