Tired of battling string algae!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've always had an abundance of string algae, even over the winter months. No matter how much I clean it out, use barley, bene. bacteria, algaecide, it I see new growth daily. Anything I might be missing that might help. Also, I did drain the pond this spring, but I now have dark water, tea color kinda. I don't have any leaves or pinestraw in it that could be causing it. Any ideas or how to clear it up? I am using a clarifier, not helping yet. I live north of Atlanta, Ga. The pond depth is 2 to 3 ft in some areas.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never have the stuff in the big pond, lots of plants compete for the nutrients. (I only filter with a bog i.e. pea gravel and tons of plants) Maybe more plants could help.

Reaction score
Plants and more plants, couldnt have said it beter addy1. Aquaponics grow bed works wonders for my pond, I have so many plants that I intentionaly over feed them to yeild a bigger/faster crop. I planted a tomato plant 3 weeks ago into a pot of lavarock and stuck it under the drain pipe that empties from my grow bed into the pond, it started out about 6" tall and is now over 3 feet tall. No need for UV clarifiers or chemicals, my water is crystal clear, when you push the water plants to the side that is, I need to trade some more to the pet shops for some more tadpoles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Well I can do that! I'll get some more plants. I knew they were good for shading the water; but didn't think about them competing with the algae for nutrients. The string algae wraps all around the plants. I do have some but, I guess not near enough. My water is def. not crystal clear yet, its tea color & foaming! Which the foaming i think is from the algaecide, ugh! Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
This year is my first year with an Iongen. So far, I haven't had a bit of string algae. This is amazing as I have always had a big outbreak after starting up after winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oh wow, glad to hear that. So, its ok to have plants rooted at the bottom of the pond, no problem with them harming the liner? I had one last yr. but pulled it out when i drained the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
There is a YouTube video. Search the Aquascapes iongen water clarifier. For me, I just put the probe in my skimmer box. It has been wonderful so far. Usually by this point, I have a huge breakout of string algae-nothing so far. I would recommend giving it a try. The cheapest place I found is Webb's Water Gardens.

Ask a Question