To bog or not to bog.

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Stouty109, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Stouty109

Stouty109

Im Building a new pond in my backyard and i was wondering If i should put in a 55 gal filter or at least a 100 gal bog filter. It will also b the start to my waterfall.

Stouty109, Mar 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Stouty109

taherrmann4 Tmann

I enjoy the bog that I put in last may and it has served me well. This is not my only filter, I have two other filters beside the bog.

taherrmann4, Mar 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Stouty109

shakaho

I love my bog filters. I'm replacing another barrel filter with a bog this spring.

shakaho, Mar 15, 2013
  4. Stouty109

Waterbug

Depends on the kind of pond you want and your goals. A bog is neither good or bad, it has good features and bad features. Pretty much like anything.

Waterbug, Mar 15, 2013
  5. Stouty109

Koiqueen Mnettles

After using every other type of filter out there I put in a bog. Love love love it and it is my only filter now and no more green water.

Koiqueen, Mar 15, 2013
  6. Stouty109

pecan

One of the reasons I love bogs is because of the possibilities with aquatic plants they provide. I initially dug my pond with a bunch of planting shelves but found plants do not do well in my pond. I think it might be lack of nutrients or the fish eating the roots. But for whatever reason they don't. I am as much of a plant junkie as I am a pond junkie. I put in a mini bog above my water fall and LOVE how I can fill it with plants and they do great :)

pecan, Mar 15, 2013
    Nyboy likes this.
  7. Stouty109

Shdwdrgn

It depends completely on what you intend to do with your pond. If you are only interested in a low-maintenance filter, then there are equally suitable choices. However if you enjoy live plants and want to be able to put in a wide variety, then as pecan says, a bog is invaluable. There are a number of marginals that simply do not do well around the edge of the pond, but will thrive in a bog. I also installed a mini-bog at the top of my waterfall, and am using this area to experiment with carnivorous plants. I put in my first hardy pitcher plant last year, which appears to have grown some deep, healthy roots over the Winter, so I am excitedly awaiting the first signs of new plant growth for this season, with plans to buy several more plants this year. A bog can give you a range of planting conditions because you can put a plant just above or just below the water level by simply scooping up a pile of gravel.

Shdwdrgn, Mar 18, 2013
  8. Stouty109

brandonsdad02 They call me Ryan

I put in my bog last spring and just love it. All of my plants exploded during the summer and my water was clear all year.

brandonsdad02, Mar 20, 2013
    Carolyn22 likes this.
  9. Stouty109

Fishylove

I too am looking forward to seeing how the bog does, this being its first FULL year. I am also going to try a few vegetables and do some aquaponics, maybe try a tomato plant or two and see how much better they can do? Anyone else here used their big for veggies ?

Fishylove, Mar 20, 2013
  10. Stouty109

Shdwdrgn

Hmm my waterfall bog is against the chainlink fence. I wonder how peas would do, growing up out of the gravel onto the fence? I may have to try this!

Shdwdrgn, Mar 21, 2013
  11. Stouty109

Waterbug

Awhile back I documented a test on growing tomatoes in bog conditions.

For really serious vegetables a bog could be setup like an Aquaponic bed to various degrees. Lots of data and experience on that is available. But just varying the below soil water level would allow most vegetables to grow. There are lots of issues. High pH not allowing for nutrients to be available, vegetables requiring more nutrients than available, insects, etc. Lots of videos on YouTube of people setting up new systems and their high hopes, very few videos of anyone actually getting serious vegetables. Possible, not simple.

Waterbug, Mar 21, 2013
  12. Stouty109

Stouty109

So I'm going with a bog and later ill b installing a skippy also if needed. But my new question is i have a 2" pipe running at the bottom of my bog and i have 3/8" holes drilled every 6" and the pipe is 7' long. Will them 3/8" holes b ok and not restrict my flow.

Stouty109, Aug 20, 2013
  13. Stouty109

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We slit the 2 inch pipe about 1/3 of the way through, the slits are the width of a saw blade, not a controlled cut. The slits ended up being around 1/4 inch or so in size. One thing I read was holes can get plugged by the pea gravel. We also installed our with the slits pointing down to the bottom of the pond. I put scrap liner below the piping between it and the liner, so the constant pounding of the water would not wear the liner.

Our piping is around 25 feet long, our slits are from 6 inches towards the end (away from the pump) to about a foot (closer to the pump). We have good flow through out the bog.

addy1, Aug 20, 2013
    crsublette and fishin4cars like this.
  14. Stouty109

slakker AKA Mike

I like bogs as they are a more than just a filter for me. It's a place to plant stuff that normally wouldn't do well in the garden and get a different look/feel to the overall system.

slakker, Aug 20, 2013
  15. Stouty109

HTH Howard

How is the picture plant doing and if well what is the variety ?

HTH, Aug 20, 2013
  16. Stouty109

brandonsdad02 They call me Ryan

That most likely will restrict your flow depending on the size of the pump you use. When I was installing my bog, I cut the slits in the pipe and turned my pump on. I kept adding slits until there was just a small trickle of water coming out of my clean out pipe.

brandonsdad02, Aug 20, 2013
  17. Stouty109

gello22

Stouty109

If my word problem skills are correct you have 14 holes which would be about half the area of the 2" pipe. If the holes go all the way through ie 2 holes every 6" then the areas will be roughly equal, but many small holes are still more restrictive than one large one.

How much flow are you expecting?

gello22, Aug 21, 2013
  18. Stouty109

Waterbug

Depends on what you're sending into the pipe.

The pipe deals at the bottom of bogs is a fairly new thing (last 5-10 years). Bogs worked fine without them. The pipe actually allows water to travel some distance down the pipe, bypassing much of the bog. Water takes the path of least resistance. I think people just like the idea of adding pipes, more fun. But for function dumping the water in one end and letting it find it's path thru the bog is more efficient for settling waste and bio conversion. A molecule of ammonia has a greater chance of bumping into a bacteria converter the further thru the media it has to travel.

I don't think adding pipe really hurts anything very much because bogs aren't great bio converters anyways so no big deal one way or the other. But I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about pipe hole sizes, number of holes, etc. Doesn't matter. If all the holes clog and the water backup up and came out where the pipe entered the bog the removal of waste would probably be improved. But it's not like anyone ever actually measures bogs.

Waterbug, Aug 21, 2013
  19. Stouty109

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Tend to disagree with you on the water missing most of the bog. I see water flow coming through my 25 foot bog the entire length of it. Two pipes feeding pond water into the bog.

No science behind what I observe, I don't fight string algae, don't fight green water, just filter with my bog. Never had bad water tests, water clear, bottom of pond staying pretty muckless. There is some but no great amount. Fish look healthy, plants healthy. So something is working right.

addy1, Aug 21, 2013
    Stouty109 likes this.
  20. Stouty109

Waterbug

Some water travels down the entire pipe and exits close to the out flow. So total distance thru gravel would be from the pipe to the out flow. Depends on the set up but that can a very short distance, maybe 12-36". If all water is dumped into one end it must travel the entire length of the bog at a minimum. Hopefully that's a lot longer distance, but does depend on the set up.

Water will take the path of least resistance so all other things being equal more water will flow thru a hole closer to the outflow than the same size hole further away.

There's a will known concept in gravel and sand filters, from ponds to wastewater treatment to swimming pools, called "channeling". The problem is water will find the path of least resistance and only follow that which reduces the filter's usefulness . The pipe creates a channel.

I'd also add that being able to "see" water flowing the entire length a bog would not be a good thing because surface water wouldn't really be going thru the bog at all. To see below the gravel would take x ray vision. But I'd assume there was some water movement coming out of all pipe holes. The issue is the amount. With no pipe 100% of the water has to move the entire length of the bog. With a distribution pipe that number can only decrease.

I think people kind of miss the entire purpose of using pea gravel in a bog. It's to create a matrix of small openings that water must move thru...exactly the same thing people are trying to do with distribution pipe...but the gravel is much, much better at this. It creates thousands of tiny little holes to distribute the water.

Waterbug, Aug 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question