To bog or not to bog.

Reaction score
I love my Skippy Filter but as my fish have grown so is my overall fish load and even though its a 5000 gallon pond, too many fish and too big of fish are starting to overwhelm the skippy. I planned for that eventuality in the beginning so I have a space set up to expand with another Skippy or add a Bog. The Bog is what I have decided to add, like I said I love the Skippy and will keep the original but I think the advantage of having a bog outweigh having 2 Skippys. Upshot of all this is, go with whatever you want initially but make plans in the beginning for upgrades NOW and in the future you have the flexibility to change if you want to. goodluck, Tim

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not have Koi, just shubs and goldies. I have a small system this time with a bog. It is my only filter and the water is gin clear. I have had 100 gallon ponds and 5000 gal ponds and have never had a more stress free pond than this one with a bog. I will never do with out one. My only regret with pond building is that I never invested in PL Roof Flashing :banghead3:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My slits vary from 6 inches (far from the pump) to around 12 inches closer to the pump. I have two, two inch pipes running the length of the bog 26 feet. Mine ended up being almost 2.5 feet deep, they do not need to be that deep 18 inches work. I just dug a little too much and had already used the dirt to make the berm for the down slope of the bog, it is somewhere around 8-9 feet tall.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Tend to disagree with you on the water missing most of the bog. I see water flow coming through my 25 foot bog the entire length of it. Two pipes feeding pond water into the bog.

No science behind what I observe, I don't fight string algae, don't fight green water, just filter with my bog. Never had bad water tests, water clear, bottom of pond staying pretty muckless. There is some but no great amount. Fish look healthy, plants healthy. So something is working right.
This is science. "I did this, and I got these results." Babbling about what everybody knows and what theory predicts, is just babbling. If one can state predictions mathematically, one is a theoretical scientist (my husband is one of those) but the prettiest most logical mathematical theory isn't worth a thing if the experimentalists can't confirm its predictions.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a masters in science, thesis was neurological research. Worked in the field for awhile,after graduation, saw how data could be tweaked to match the out come you want.

I prefer to post only what I see, observe, works for me, there my knowledge lays. Enjoy sharing my experience.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
addy1 said:
I have a masters in science, thesis was neurological research. 1) Worked in the field for awhile,after graduation, saw how data could be tweaked to match the out come you want.

I prefer to post only what I see, observe, works for me, there my knowledge lays. Enjoy sharing my experience.

1) Worked in the field for awhile,after graduation, saw how data could be tweaked to match the out come you want.

Junk science is quite unfortunate when folk use it to support their product or persuasion. I see far too much of it in agriculture and it always comes with a cost.

All scientific formulations should not be viewed as equal, but, unfortunately, for some folk, when the words "science", "data", "observation", and "experimental analysis" are invoked, then it is all automatically to be absolutely viewed as equal.

Reaction score
Addy1, I was trying to build the bog area today and was confused about whether the bog should be lower then pond so water level is above bog at all times or higher so water flows out like a waterfall? I know it is late at night but fell asleep after the big pond dig out! Will be putting in water tomorrow so will have a chance to do it correctly in am. Gravel can not be put in til next week as delivery was not possible. Thanks so much for Helping

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always had the bog higher, ow you need a way to pump the water out of the bog back into the pond. With it higher you pump from the pond to the bog, the bog flows back into the pond. You would need a collection spot for the water in the bog for pumping back into the pond , sort of backwards lol
We are on top of a mountain right now, trying to type on a tab, one finger typing. Not to good at it lol.
Digging out can be tiring! Good going!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One of the reasons I love bogs is because of the possibilities with aquatic plants they provide. I initially dug my pond with a bunch of planting shelves but found plants do not do well in my pond. I think it might be lack of nutrients or the fish eating the roots. But for whatever reason they don't. I am as much of a plant junkie as I am a pond junkie. I put in a mini bog above my water fall and LOVE how I can fill it with plants and they do great :)

Just read your post. I'm looking into putting in a bog filter possibly and was wondering if you still like yours. I currently have a 600 gal pond with a water fall coming down a big hill into it. I have a pressurized filter now. I love plants too and they don't thrive in my pond either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just read your post. I'm looking into putting in a bog filter possibly and was wondering if you still like yours. I currently have a 600 gal pond with a water fall coming down a big hill into it. I have a pressurized filter now. I love plants too and they don't thrive in my pond either.

Yes I do still love it. So much so I have built two more since then. This year I made the small bog above my waterfall larger and plumbed the water through pvc under the gravel (the old one the water inlet was on top of the gravel and it was more for looks rather than a filter). Now the new bog actually works as another filter.

I also created a stand alone bog that is very large with a very small pond attached it (maybe 400 gallons in the small pond) and I love it. Here is a thread of my large bog build with the small pond. I love the water gardening aspect and the fact it's like a flower bed I don't have to water :)

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pecan-bog-build-2014.13535/

bog3-jpg.77729

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not used anything but bogs to filter my ponds in the past and currently. Personally love them and the plants they grow. The ease of care and keeps the pond pretty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I've been reading all of the posts....I have but one question: Will a bog clog up? All other filtering systems require maintenance, maybe even weekly..? So how can a maintenance plan go from weekly to never? Also Aquascape has a "centipede" for creating a bog filter, has anyone constructed a clean out chamber like this for annual cleaning?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So, I've been reading all of the posts....I have but one question: Will a bog clog up? All other filtering systems require maintenance, maybe even weekly..? So how can a maintenance plan go from weekly to never? Also Aquascape has a "centipede" for creating a bog filter, has anyone constructed a clean out chamber like this for annual cleaning?

Thanks

I answered your question briefly on your other thread, but I will add here that we used an Aquascape centipede in both our down flow bog and our up flow bog. We've never had to clean either - pond is six years old.

Ask a Question