To Cover or Not To Cover

Reaction score
I am debating on building a cover (one that looks like an igloo) out of PVC pipe and covering it with 6 mil plastic for the winter. For those of you who have done this, any info would be greatly appreciated. Do you think it is worth doing? What size PVC? Did you build a frame around the bottom or just slide the pvc over some rebar that is in the ground to make the hoops? Did you attach the plastic to the pvc? Pictures of what you built would be great.

Thanks, Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for those who's pond will fit in one... HARBOR FREIGHT has these......

Attachments

• 11-14-2010 10;29;55 AM.jpg
    11-14-2010 10;29;55 AM.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 366

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
If you look in the pond construction and equipment forum I posted pictures on how I covered my pond. Its the winter pond netting revised thread. I would advise against using plastic because the weight of snow would collapse it. My system collapses as well but as the snow melts the piping springs back up. Also, the netting keeps debris out and allows the snow to melt and drip through it.

Reaction score
Jethro, I was looking to use plastic to get the greenhouse effect. I do have it covered with netting to catch leaves right now.

Koiguy, I was thinking of doing something similar to that, but for alot less coin.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i had an igloo type of plastic cover with hoops last year and mine collapsed in the first snow fal,l i too would go with something like DoDads like a tent shape think the snow runs off better

Reaction score
stroppy said:
i had an igloo type of plastic cover with hoops last year and mine collapsed in the first snow fal,l i too would go with something like DoDads like a tent shape think the snow runs off better

Stroppy, do you know where the link is to the images of DoDads wintercover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had one of that was similar to that one but not used for a koi pond. Being so tall the wind played havoc on it. two years later it was junk from the sun and wind.
It would probably work if you didn't use the legs and replace the top with 6 mil construction plastic.

Johnnie said:
Koiguy, thanks :nananananana:. I'll look into this portable-covering-option in Autumn 2011.
image_957.jpg

PS: I like Ian's anti-spammer-procedure: "This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23 seconds." :fish:

Reaction score
If it's just like that one a wet sticky snow will bring it down. It has too much slack which will develop into pockets.

Reaction score
Well I decided to go ahead and cover it, with what I have dubbed a Bio Sphere, for a couple of reasons. First I would like to keep it from getting any ice this winter. Secondly it should keep debris from getting into the pond. The hoops are made from 1-1/2" electrical pvc, they are held in place by 1-1/8" x 5 foot long chain link fence post driven into the ground. The spine down the center is 3/4" pvc. I have a sheet of 6 mil plastic coming in soon. Here is a pic of the bones.

Attachments

• Bio Sphere 1.jpg
    Bio Sphere 1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 393

Ask a Question