To empty? Or not to empty?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi everyone! I had to halt work on my pond around Thanksgiving. I ran out of rocks and also messed up my elbow/arm in the excavation and rocking process. Whoops. We covered the pond with a huge blue tarp to keep the leaves out. In the last couple of months, we've had quite a lot of rain. The drought hasn't ended yet, but my pond is full! I think Feb or March, I will try to work again. I will need to get IN the pond to work on rocks and secure my edging stones with foam. I could try to lean over and do it from the outside, but I think working from within would be better.

It seems the most sensible thing to do is pump out the rainwater and use it on my plants. I sort of hate to do that, though. I was originally worried about our watering restrictions due to the drought, and here I have a pond full of free, Mother Nature's water!!!!! I don't have the waterfall or skimmer ready to operate yet, so I'm keeping the pond covered till I can get back to work.

The water looks very nice and doesn't smell bad.

I suppose if I do pump it out for work, there's a good chance Spring rains will contribute to a refill.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We uncovered the pond. It was great to see it mostly filled. The water level is just where I planned. I decided to go ahead and pump it out. Found a submersible pump at Harbor Freight on clearance for $34. It worked much better than I thought it would - pumped the water out in about an hour and a half. We have some 68 degree days coming up, so I'm hoping to get outside and do a little work!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We uncovered the pond. It was great to see it mostly filled. The water level is just where I planned. I decided to go ahead and pump it out. Found a submersible pump at Harbor Freight on clearance for $34. It worked much better than I thought it would - pumped the water out in about an hour and a half. We have some 68 degree days coming up, so I'm hoping to get outside and do a little work!
Those Harbor Freight pumps are great for occasional use. I've got one I use for pumping out my waterfall filter when I clean it and maybe the one you got (600 GPH) for other uses. But they are really poor efficiency, so if you want to run one 24/7 you probably want to spend the money and get a more efficient pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Those Harbor Freight pumps are great for occasional use. I've got one I use for pumping out my waterfall filter when I clean it and maybe the one you got (600 GPH) for other uses. But they are really poor efficiency, so if you want to run one 24/7 you probably want to spend the money and get a more efficient pump.
Oh yes, for sure! I have my fancy-schmancy expensive pump waiting in the wings. I bought this cheap one strictly to use as a way to empty the rainwater. I believe it is a 1350 gph and worked like a charm.

Ask a Question