To feed or not to feed fish...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had a 600+ gallon rigid pond for 15 years or so, running through a 50 gallon homemade upflow filter. I have always fed the fish a couple times a day; I always enjoyed watching the feeding frenzy it caused. But last year they (the 6 shubunkins - not the 3 koi) were rather prolific and the pond has more fish than it should. Yes, it has 2 too many koi for the size and now at least a dozen too many shubunkins as well. But after rebuilding the filter and adding more media, I also decided to halt supplemental feedings, letting them graze on all the algae growing on the sides as their only source of nutrition. The results? The filter goes months without needing cleaning, the water is as clear as tap water, the fish are as active and healthy as ever - though growing a bit slower which I am happy to see as well - and so far I can see nothing but good as a result.

I've read about other pond folks who NEVER fed their fish and everything was just fine, so I decided to try it and so far, I'm sold on it. Anybody else in the "no-feeding" camp?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Me! I only do it once in a while, for fun. All seems good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know I have not fed goldfish off and on for long periods but I thought you shouldn't do that w/koi. I don't have koi so I don't know myself. I have heard goldfish are better at foraging for food in the ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm of the belief that pet fish should be fed. That's part of the fun of having them. Interacting with them at feeding time is something I enjoy. I love seeing them all rise to the surface and start smacking their lips when they see me at pond side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Koi should be fed something as they need a variety of nutrients to support their body metabolism. I doubt in that small pond there is enough food for the Koi. I agree with others that the pond is too small for the Koi. Reducing the food for them is not really fair for them. Goldfish eat less and are better at foraging for food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The koi are about 6-7 inches long. For years there was a huge single koi (24 inches at least) in the pond with assorted goldfish and he was a voracious feeder, plant destroyer, and all round king of the deep - and he was the sole survivor of several blue heron feasts that cleaned out everything else. If I knew someone who would relieve me of two of the koi, I would happily give them away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
The koi are about 6-7 inches long. For years there was a huge single koi (24 inches at least) in the pond with assorted goldfish and he was a voracious feeder, plant destroyer, and all round king of the deep - and he was the sole survivor of several blue heron feasts that cleaned out everything else. If I knew someone who would relieve me of two of the koi, I would happily give them away.
would be a good idea to give them away when you get a chance. Yes the Koi will eat plants if they cannot find other food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only feed now and then. On the whole very seldom.

The fish do a great job of snacking on the excess eggs they drop when they are spawning, I keep them food less.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Small koi would do fine without supplemental feeding. Big koi would struggle to find enough to eat in a garden pond. Goldfish do just fine without ever being fed by humans - there's lots to eat in an established pond. But it is fun to feed them and get to know their personalities.

And definitely find a new home for those koi as your pond is way too small for them. One of my pet peeves (haha! get it?) is koi being sold to people who don't have the appropriate sized pond. You buy them tiny and suddenly you have giants living in your pond. Most new pond owners have no idea how huge they can get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I should clarify that I have goldfish. They stay busy all day, cleaning the pond and snacking on algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I am beginning to think there is to much indigestible filler in fish food that is hard for nature to breakdown. I have stopped feeding them except for when visitors come to see them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am beginning to think there is to much indigestible filler in fish food that is hard for nature to breakdown. I have stopped feeding them except for when visitors come to see them.

Try feeding a premium quality food. They tend to be easier for fish to digest, less feed is required and less mess in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm of the belief that pet fish should be fed. That's part of the fun of having them. Interacting with them at feeding time is something I enjoy. I love seeing them all rise to the surface and start smacking their lips when they see me at pond side.
I'm the same way!
I don't want my fish to just survive, I enjoy feeding them, and I want them to feel loved, just like any other pet of mine!
I cannot imagine not feeding my fish!

Ask a Question