To filter or not to filter

Reaction score
My father has a small pond, a pre-formed about 3'x5' max depth maybe 24". There is a small waterfall and fountain. He has numerous goldfish and 3-5 koi. Also, the pond is in direct sunlight most of the day.

He hasn't ran a filter in over 3 years and he very, very, rarely feeds the fish. He's had the same fish for years. The water is very clear. The fish are very active and actually produce offspring almost every year. He also has these seaweed-like plants that started blooming some sort of tiny underwater flower ever since he stopped filtering. Another observation since he stopped filtering - frogs. They come to his pond to mate.

He used to run a filter, but got tired of cleaning it. The 1st year he stopped, he got all this new activity. So, he hasn't ran one since. Is this normal????

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have a small pre-formed pond about the same size. My is filtered, and I seem to have created some balance in my pond.

From what you have described, your friend appearantly have a good natural balance going on there. If the fish and wildlife are healthly, I wouldn't change anything. If the whole system starts to get fowel, I would build a filter just for that pond.

Happy ponding,

Rich

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oops sorry, I guess I should have just started a new thread somewhere. I'll do better next time...........forgive me jsado? I would like to see pics of your pond also
surrender012.gif

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Back to Jsado's question. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Not trying to be a wise guy, but I believe if it is working, leave it alone.

Happy ponding,

Rich

P.S. JW, thank you for trying fix the other problem.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i agree with you oldmarine..if it aint broke dont fix it..but if you can "easily" improve it why not?.. that size of a pond is too small for 1 grown koi, let alone 3,4 or 5., plus goldfish like he said is in there, and if theyre are aleast 3 years old, they are already of decent size. the time they can remain safely in that water volume is growing shorter all the time. implimenting a filtration system will greatly extend the ponds ability to sustain them in a healthy enviroment.. but eventually, some relocation is going to have to occur.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
There is a comforting feeling you get from a quiet pond ..enjoy it

Ask a Question