To help a skimmer in winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A little late but seeing there was a cracked filter post , it made me think of it. I thought I would post what I did for my skimmer for the winter. My skimmer does stay full during the winter so I removed everything removable and filled it with many pieces of pool noodles do there will be more give then just solid ice. Everything else gets emptied like plumbing and bio filters and waterfall so I do nothing with those. So this may help a few people with next winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stuff a plastic bag with bubble wrap, put a heavy rock in it so it does not float and stick it in the skimmer. It displaces the water in the skimmer.
Mine stays full of water also, an exterior skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't do anything and leave pumps etc in it. I've read about some skimmers cracking this winter and worried.

If we stuff our skimmer with various things ( pool noodles, bags, newspaper etc) doesn't it just all freeze solid too?

Ask a Question