Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
So this coyote charged at you this morning and you shot it. You don't have the cooperation of your wildlife people, yet you've already gotten back confirmation that the coyote did test postitive for rabies? I must be missing something here.

It takes 24 -72 hours to complete the test for rabies on a dead animal. Where did you take it for the exam? I would think that any wildlife dept. would be very tuned in to the fact that there are rabid animals in your area.

But back to your original post, I think you should come up with a very sturdy way to enclose your turtles as a way of keeping the wild critters from getting to them. Something that can't be dug through or under. To be fair, animals are animals and you are living in their world if you are that far away from civilization.
Heres what the CDC says and I assume they know their :poop: "The test itself takes about 2 hours"

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Around here in the suburbs, the only thing coyotes "charge" are rabbits, cats and the occasional garbage can. They shun human contact. Here's a young one - early morning prowling down our street.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wish I could afford to fence in the yard but it is 12.8 acres so I will have to save up for that
I hear you. Do you think you can do just around the house and the pond for now? or around the edge of the woods or just behind it (so you dont see)? it's a pain, I know, and I also want to have an open space without fence too (I have 5 acres)

I found that I like hog fence. And I think with that and running the electric along the outside of the fence might be good enough. The hog fence doesnt cost too much and you dont need to do the whole property, just the area where you frequent (house, pond, garden etc). Just an idea :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
TM, it's the wire fence that's widly used for fence, some has smaller holes at the bottom. It's actually pretty nice if you know how to set up nicely.

I'm attaching pictures (from the internet) just for example of how it can look

This one is a nice one
gtga35327b87e5a273.jpg

This is just normal fencing
IMG_1733_large.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
TM, it's the wire fence that's widly used for fence, some has smaller holes at the bottom. It's actually pretty nice if you know how to set up nicely.

I'm attaching pictures (from the internet) just for example of how it can look

This one is a nice one
View attachment 84961

This is just normal fencing
View attachment 84962
I like the first style :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Post like this is tough not to offend someone. I personally would never kill a animal that I brought to my yard, directly or in directly due to the pond, fruit trees, pets etc. I feel it is the humans responsibility to take the proper action on there property so killing of a animal doing its thing does not happen. I personally do not like excuses like the fence is to much money, that should have been thought about before ponds, fruit trees etc., were put on a property. Many people use that excuse that it is cheaper just to kill the problem then to fix the problem, while true it is a poor excuse. You stated your pond can't be seen from the house, so you made a very private watering hole for visitors, so the chance you walking up on something again is very high. In my opinion you should where a bell or make noise of some sort every time you go out there. Most animals do not just attack or kill humans for no good reason, most of the time the humans are at fault. I photograph all sorts of wildlife (have for years) and with that said respect still has to been given on every outing. I never needed bear spray but buy it every time we photograph bears just in case. From my experiences most wildlife do not attack first and ask questions later like humans do. They give many warning signs first, like a simple ear positioning ( moose are good for this). It would help if you learn defensive signs also of the animals in your area also. From my experience most people really do not know when they are being attacked, most of the time they are mock charges. I will still scare the heck out of you for sure but does not warrant killing of the animal. Maybe in your case it was different with rabies etc, I was not there. Moving forward I would make your place more wild animal safe, more so if you are a rescue.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Post like this is tough not to offend someone. I personally would never kill a animal that I brought to my yard, directly or in directly due to the pond, fruit trees, pets etc. I feel it is the humans responsibility to take the proper action on there property so killing of a animal doing its thing does not happen. I personally do not like excuses like the fence is to much money, that should have been thought about before ponds, fruit trees etc., were put on a property. Many people use that excuse that it is cheaper just to kill the problem then to fix the problem, while true it is a poor excuse. You stated your pond can't be seen from the house, so you made a very private watering hole for visitors, so the chance you walking up on something again is very high. In my opinion you should where a bell or make noise of some sort every time you go out there. Most animals do not just attack or kill humans for no good reason, most of the time the humans are at fault. I photograph all sorts of wildlife (have for years) and with that said respect still has to been given on every outing. I never needed bear spray but buy it every time we photograph bears just in case. From my experiences most wildlife do not attack first and ask questions later like humans do. They give many warning signs first, like a simple ear positioning ( moose are good for this). It would help if you learn defensive signs also of the animals in your area also. From my experience most people really do not know when they are being attacked, most of the time they are mock charges. I will still scare the heck out of you for sure but does not warrant killing of the animal. Maybe in your case it was different with rabies etc, I was not there. Moving forward I would make your place more wild animal safe, more so if you are a rescue.
That's all very interesting but I am human as you said and therefore did not make every perfect decision and prophetically know there would be problems with wild animals so to say I should of done this or that is over stated and asking too much from a first time pond builder. If my original post is offensive then your response would be close to being condecending and grossly speculative. That is your opinion and is your prerogative as is my right to share the incident which I highly regret due to misjudging how judgmental and overbearing some of the responses were although yours was the most critical yet somewhat ludicrous as you know about 10% of the story but thats is all okay with me... I am going to try and remove the post entirely as to not offend anyone else with the sin oh confessing something that was painful to do and insanely charging to share and will not share anything like it in the future as to not be honest... Have a good day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First rule that I quickly learned about posting anywhere on the Internet was that If you are not prepared for any and all responses, positive and negative, then don't post.
And, if you [generic "you"] really want to help or are asking for help, then share your questions, information, and experiences, but don't put other people down for the things they do or say. Everyone has opinions and that's OK.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
And, if you [generic "you"] really want to help or are asking for help, then share your questions, information, and experiences, but don't put other people down for the things they do or say. Everyone has opinions and that's OK.
Ditto! :D
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Marshall, no need to pull the post at all. I have been on this forum awhile and it is a great place, yours is not the first topic like this to come up and they are always touchy. If I only know 10% of the story then I am sorry for saying something without knowing the entire story. However when you post only part of the story that is all one can go off. I am very sensitive to all wildlife and I do everything I can to help them along, around my home, in public by photography, etc. So to me it is a serious topic. I personally do not like hearing another animal has been killed which usually can be avoided, maybe not in your case as like you said I only have 10% of the story. I am not looking for a back in forth here, lets move on and I wish you much success with your rescue. May I suggest if you want help on a topic going forward maybe post all the information you can and then you can get possibly the correct answer, it still may not be what you want to hear but correct none the less.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used that as a deck railing system instead of those 2x2's ..I loved the metal in between so it does not block the view as much .I killed an eggplant egg from garden to oven to table YUMMY

Attachments

• lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 109.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 109.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 155
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 111.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 111.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 135

Ask a Question