To line or not to line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a new half barrel that I want to set up on the patio. It was bought last year but due to an ankle injury I haven’t been able to get get to work on it . It wouln’t hold water up to the top, but having sat through the winter it is now fully watertight. I would like to use it unlined but hubby thinks lined is better. Any thoughts?. Also would I need to seal the outside? Is it better to be raised from the patio ? Thanks.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi June- If the barrel would not hold water before, it's best to line it. You would not want to put the work into it and have it start leaking. As far as sealing the outside of it, most of the barrels designed to be used as planters are already treated but an extra coat of sealant may make it last longer. Is your patio wood or concrete? If its wood , I would raise it up to keep the wood under it from rotting. Good luck and post pics!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not sure if you have Lowes in the UK, or something similar......we bought a fitted liner in the garden section for our wooden barrel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @June :) I agree that it would be best to line, you'll prolong the life of it if you do. I've not seen fitted liners here in the UK, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe take a look online and see what you can find.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @June , I would line it as well. I would hate for you to get it all up and running and find out it doesn't hold water quite like you thought it would.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not all barrels are created equal... I have made some whiskey barrels in the past and each and everyone of them leaked at the initial filling. The wood had to swell / absorb the fluid this takes a little time but once they do swell they are extremely water tight. So it all depends on the barrel it's self but either way whether it's a true wood barrel made to hold liquids or if it's a decoration, lining them will not hurt either way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not all barrels are created equal... I have made some whiskey barrels in the past and each and everyone of them leaked at the initial filling. The wood had to swell / absorb the fluid this takes a little time but once they do swell they are extremely water tight. So it all depends on the barrel it's self but either way whether it's a true wood barrel made to hold liquids or if it's a decoration, lining them will not hurt either way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments. I will probably use a liner as that seems to be the recommendation. My only problem with that is because the half barrel is huge and I can’t imagine what the top would look like and how I would finish it off. I have just come in from draining it and refilling with fresh water to keep it wet until I sort out the liner. I will post a pic when I find out how to! I’m new to this !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smwel.gif

Ask a Question