To many fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You guys told me many times that 50 goldfish in a 1000 Gal pond is to many. OK i agree but i tried to give them away to Family and friends but no one wants them.I tried the local nursery that sells goldfish but he doesn’t want them either.In my community there is a pond but that is illegal.They all seem to be very healthy .So how do i get rid of at least 30 fish?

Attachments

• 20221106_142029.jpg
    20221106_142029.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When we had our pond cleaned in the Spring, the contractors that came & did it took away our 'excess' fish. Perhaps look for a pond building company & see if you could get them to help you out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I hear you. Mine keep multiplying too.

If you can't find a way to rehome them and your water quality is not suffering, I wouldn't worry about it.

If they were koi, I'd be concerned, but goldfish maybe not so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We used to be able to take our fry to a plant nursery that had a large outdoor pond. I'm sure there were predators, bull frogs, turtles, snakes and herons, but it was a nice pond and I felt they had a good shot. This year I learned they were not accepting fish anymore.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need some water snakes, herons, etc. No issue with overcrowding. I still have water room 10 years later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As you try to rehome them what issues do you have with water quality. In the posted photo the pond looks clean.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It may not be too many depending on your filtration. I had 26 goldfish in under 300 gallons for over a year. I did have 2 bog filters that were about the size of the surface area of the entire pond.

I have seen many more koi in ponds smaller than recommended here.

If they are overcrowded, I believe they will stop reproducing.

The estimates quoted on here seem very conservative.

I realize it is a risk being overcrowded, since it may be that your fish are ok til one day it is too many/too big for the filtration and you lose a number of fish. But until then..........

I have 70 goldfish in about 3000 gallons now with a big bog. But when they are all clustered to be fed they look over crowded.

You can periodically test your water, add plants, aeration, more filtration.

My local pond store takes trade ins. My mom got her goldfish on Craigslist.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I believe they will stop reproducing.
That's false. But nature will take over and thin the herd.

The estimates quoted on here seem very conservative.
Indeed. And that's on purpose.

I have 70 goldfish in about 3000 gallons
Very different than 50 in 1000 gallons.

Keep trying @420benz . But in the end, there are humane ways to euthanize fish if it comes to that. Far better than to start losing them to diseases caused by overcrowding and poor water quality. I know we don't like to think about it, but the fish breeding industry culls far more fish than they keep. It's sometimes the best of two hard choices.

Do test your water and see where you're at with parameters. That will tell you a lot about how quickly you need to act.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That's false. But nature will take over and thin the herd.

Indeed. And that's on purpose.

Very different than 50 in 1000 gallons.

Keep trying @420benz . But in the end, there are humane ways to euthanize fish if it comes to that. Far better than to start losing them to diseases caused by overcrowding and poor water quality. I know we don't like to think about it, but the fish breeding industry culls far more fish than they keep. It's sometimes the best of two hard choices.

Do test your water and see where you're at with parameters. That will tell you a lot about how quickly you need to act.
"But in the end, there are humane ways to euthanize fish if it comes to that. Far better than to start losing them to diseases caused by overcrowding and poor water quality. I know we don't like to think about it, but the fish breeding industry culls far more fish than they keep. It's sometimes the best of two hard choices."

As @Lisak1 says, humane euthanasia is a better option than letting fish die of disease due to over crowding and disease.

The following article is an in-depth review of humane euthanasia methods, including fish. I know it's not an easy or popular topic, but sometimes it must be considered.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add filtration, and aeration, and plants, or build a new or bigger pond, or rehome them before I euthanized my fish due to overcrowding.

420benz, you may or may not be overcrowded with 50 goldfish in a 1000 gallon pond.

Ask a Question