To pre filter, or not to pre filter

Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks so much for your advice on bottom drain sizing. My next consideration is some kind of mechanical pre filter befor the pump. I'd like to know if they are necesarry to install before the pump, or does todays pumps handle the types of sludge produced from the bottom drain just using a basket before the pump. If any of you are using some kind of pre filter, how happy are you with it? And what kind of maintenance or operational problems can I expect? Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pre-filtering is a great benefit as it removes the larger solids out allowing the bacteria to concentrate on breaking down easier. I have a savio compact skimmer, It uses matala behind the leaf basket for particles that are smaller than the leaf basket can catch. I have to clean it daily. I clean it with a standard water hose as I'm not worried about bio-filtering at that point only mechanical. i am very surprised how much they catch daily and i can see first hand how much it helps in removing finer particles and taking load off the Bio-filter.
I want to build a Settling chamber or Vortex on my next system. But for now this is working great and I'm very happy with the results that pre-filtering is doing for my pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I would implement a seive if I was to use a bottom drain....as it removes solids right down to larger fines. and they are removed from contact with the water flow.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
I would implement a seive if I was to use a bottom drain....as it removes solids right down to larger fines. and they are removed from contact with the water flow.

I've read about using seives in some of the readings and heard them talked about in videos. seen a picture of one or two but I was wondering do you have any links or pics you could share with us. I pretty much understand the concept but seeing it and how it functions may help those of us that are still learning to get acquainted with what they do and how they operate.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
.especially for a dedicated koi pond.......double click this screen it'll take you to the youtube page this is on....more vids on seives

[ame]

Ask a Question