To remove filter or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I mostly finished my bog-in-a-box filter two or three weeks ago, though I may top it up with a little more gravel yet. My pump has two integral filters of foam. When can I take out the foam? Unusually for them, the fish stopped looking for food around three weeks ago, so I assume they're not contributing any "matter" to the water now. Some of the pond plants are dying off while some are still actively growing. I'm thinking it's rather pointless putting much in the way of plants in the gravel at this time of year.
Also, the pump has a UV light, which can't be removed. Is this a problem? Probably by May or June the lamp's UV will be bankrupt as that'll be 12 months since it was changed. I'm really hoping to avoid being up to my elbows in cold water with cleaning out the filters this winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pictures please , i cant picture a pump with filters and a uv for a small pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the new filter. That little pump is pushing water into it now, but the pump's own foam filters are still within. I'd like to get them out, as they're a PITA to clean!

Attachments

• PXL_20211112_122111416.jpg
    PXL_20211112_122111416.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With a bog there's no need for foam or uv. you' re over 30 % bog i would imagine your water is clear .little need for a uv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately it's verboten to remove the UV light because it's integral to keeping the motor dry. That's the trouble with all in ones. In a few months the UV will die, anyway, but it and it's assembly has to stay in situ. I'll be happy just to take the foam out.
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need to protect the uv from freezing. The casing around the bulb can crack and water gets into the wiring.
It's been safe so far as it's a few inches off the bottom of the pond. If it were to freeze I guess I'd be chipping the fish out of ice blocks - oh what a horrible thought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been safe so far as it's a few inches off the bottom of the pond. If it were to freeze I guess I'd be chipping the fish out of ice blocks - oh what a horrible thought!
once upon a time, another member posted pics of goldfish frozen in like ice cubes...and they survived, so you KNOW gf are a hardy breed if they can survive that!

Ditto the 'don't need your UV' and if it freezes, it'll crack. Then I read yours is an all-in-one and below freezing, so you should be okay. In time, you can just get a new pump without all that useless stuff and send water right to your bog filter. Btw, looking at your outlet pipes; keep an eye on them, esp if you get a more powerful pump and send more water than usual into your bog as I don't think you'll have enough outlet volume to keep up! And, if you do go the 'pump only' route, put a wye on the pump end and ball valves on each successive feed so you can control exactly how much water goes where. Gives you more options, too (like another waterfall, surface agitation, fountain head, etc).

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, Brokensword, got it in one! I already have split the water via a Y piece and valve, plus got the pump on the lowest setting. I know both pump and filter are oversized for my tiny (and looking incredibly scruffy now) pond. I'm hoping to make a bigger pond next year, well I'm torn really because my son was going to build me a greenhouse over Easter 2020, but of course, Lockdown happened and he was unable to visit. So now a dilemma, greenhouse or pond? Can't have both in 2022 because time, labour and especially money are severely limited.

Talking about frozen fish, last year had an adult frog totally frozen in a mini "wildlife" pond. I thought it must surely have died because we don't have any species in the UK that can survive freezing - or so Professor Google says. But as the water thawed out so the frog revived. I've got to enlarge that pond, too. Far too many frogs spawn in it and it gets choked up with tadpoles which have to be split up to other containers.

Ask a Question