To Salt or Not To Salt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Hi folks...

So I get mixed messages about when or if to add salt to the pond water, depending on who you ask. I did add some early last spring as the suggestion was that it helps with the stress of the opening season.

However I've heard of people adding salt to their pond every year and I thought salt was one of those things which doesn't deplete or evaporate over time. So wouldn't adding salt every year just make the concentration go up more and more each year?

What do you guys do when it comes to salt?

Wammy

Reaction score
So wouldn't adding salt every year just make the concentration go up more and more each year?

Yes, unless you do water changes.

I did salt once. It's kind of fun because you feel like you know what you're doing and feel all scientist-y. But when it came time to vacuum (that's how I do water changes) I had a problem...where does the waste water go? Normally I put it into the garden but with the salt not so good. So I stopped using salt. Looking back I feel I had been silly and had fell for yet another pond keeping myth.

The internet can really spread these silly myths and it's just impossible to ever stop them. Like most myths there is some logic, but then it's blown out of all reasonable proportion.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to me salt is for a sick fish in a tank I use koi clay as it buffers the water .I have to get some yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No salt. Unless it's a margarita. Then the answer is yes, salt please!

Salt is useful for treating some fish issues, but then you should use a salt bath for the affected fish. Otherwise there's evidence that constant salt in the pond is like the overuse of antibiotics - you lose the effectiveness. Not to mention - these are freshwater fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d say good water is more important than salt. There are naturally salts in the earth, and in natural water, typically in small amounts. If you can find well water, a natural aquaifer, artisian well, you could put some of that water in, if you were so concerned. My fish are in less than optimal conditions right now, but with well water, they are doing good. ( I’ve got to get my pond built, this temp one is too small) and I caught my big male trying to chase my big female.

Ask a Question