To sell or not to sell?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a couple come today to buy some of the koi I have for sale. They wanted to see the ponds and the proud parents. They were impressed with my 2 butterfly koi (both 32"+).
I offered to sell them one but told them the price would be a bit more than the $25 I am asking for my 2 year olds. I gave them a price that I figured would scare them away but I think they may take me up on it! When I told hubby I might sell one of the big guys he seemed almost upset. Not sure if he has actually gotten attached or it's the 6+ years of food etc. that fishy has cost us. It would really help out with the rebuild & it's not like I don't have more fish, but......

Reaction score
Did the people seem knowledgeable? If they know what they're doing I would happily sell them one of the large ones for a good price. If you had a bad vibe, like they just want a really big koi and might be throwing it in a brand new, tiny pond...well, you know...

Good luck with your sale (or retraction of offer).

:confused:
-Ed

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
well mrsclem, look at your pond and imagine it without your big one, are you ok with that? But then again you can watch a small one grow big!
And if you sale one of the couple, how will you have more babies to sale lol, well I know you could have different parents

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually have at least 10 adults but only 3 are really large. I would have to make sure he was going to a good home with plenty of room. I'm having a hard enough time giving up the ones I am selling!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing mrsclem, that is one reason I never bred my yorkies, (we had 6) I would never be able to sale, give away, hand off a pup.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes look at the hard time I had w/ giving my Pleco away. God finally had to strike a leak in the tank to tell me it was time now to stop putting it off :bouncycig:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got my pee wee at a flea market ,people were walking around selling them for 50 dollars now you couldn't give me a million for him .I adore him that much and king arthur my pitbull is a rescue and just a big love bunny

Reaction score
i don't reccomend selling because even though you might have other large ones it's not just about that, it's about being together for 6 years and growing to enjoy each others company for many years, why dont you keep him and grow old with him.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same reason I don't grow food to eat (animals) never would be able to hurt them. They would bat their big eyes at me and I would keep them until they were old and grey! lol

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
OK- I think Two Fish (yes I'm a Dr. Suess fan) will be staying. He is the most friendly of the bunch and I love the fact that I got a really good price on him- under $2.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i'm actually thinking i might sell my big guys and keep the 20 from last years spawn. that is, after this years spawn. i really like the activity in a pond with a large number of smaller fish. they dart all over. chase eachother around and are generally more fun for me. and just more interesting to watch. no spawns for a couple years. and maybe my lillies can have a couple years off of getting eaten. (my fish now didnt touch them til they hit 12' - 15".

Reaction score
Me too addy I had chickens at one point and I was thinking that they would eventually stop laying eggs and I would have to kill them so I gave them away young to a hobby farm because I knew what trouble that would be for me and good for you mrsclem keep him

Ask a Question