To skim or not to skim (leak problem, new home owner)

Reaction score
Country
United States
New homeowner as of last year, trying to get our pond purely operational. Complete pond newbie who is learning.

Goal: No fish planned. We have lots of natural wildlife which live around/come to the pond (ducks, deer, rabbits, frogs, garters, the birds, etc) and we're content w/ the vegetation/appearance + trickle sounds for now. We're OK using algaecide or what not.

Pond: Small entrance pond on the right, fills, runs over the flagstone into a river bed, under bridge, into the main pond, flowing back to the bottom left into the Savio compact skimmer box - uses pressure for the seal. Inside the skimmer is just an enclosed pump, no other filtration/catch. No aeration currently in the pond or UV. Other than occasional floating fall leaves/garden chopping, it is debris free and gets a ton of sun. The homeowners had a tote full of random pump gear - a small pump to drain, extra pond hosing, the filter which goes in the skimmer(pump+filter do not both fit so guessing they left it out?), other random parts I'm not sure of yet.
Pond is probably 3-4ft deep, the deepest point is probably an area of 5' x 2' on the bottom.

Issue: The main pond leaks. I'm not entirely sure the pond worked currently when we purchased the house. I have a feeling they had the pond fill for the pictures and had it on for the showing. Looking back at the realtor pics, I can see the water isn't on and flowing over the flagstone in the initial pond. It's lower than the hump which keeps the water in which suggests this has been a thing for some time.
I had the system on early in the year and it drained. My definition of drained = not enough water to go in the skimmer and keep the system cycling. Filled the main pond and left the system off - drained in 12 hours. The pond area seems to be draining as the skimmer will hold water fine. After researching, sounded as though this type of skimmer box gets rusty bolts every 10-15 years (we're at 16 now) and it's a leak spot. Took the faceplate off - screws were entirely fine but the faceplate had a hairline crack running the middle across the screw lines like someone overtightened it and maybe winter expansion caused crack. After even more crazy research, finally found/ordered a new skimmer faceplate. Replaced and the pond drained again over the course of 2-3 days which was better but still bad. (picture with chalk on the side of the skimmer measuring how fast the water was dropping over time) Drained the pond again and removed all the rocks/debris at the minimum water level to see if I had cuts in the liner and saw nothing. Minimum level is always around the bottom of the screw holes for the skimmer.
Getting annoyed as can't keep the pond filled due to draining and can't keep the pond empty due to rain so it's becoming a mosquito pond.
Found a hack to try washers on the outside of the faceplate for more even distribution of pressure/seal. It didn't work.

Newbie thoughts: Started trying to research parts of the pond and see there may not be a mandatory need for a skimmer box in all setups? Like I noted, we're pretty debris free, some amateur pump, have a net to skim, no fish. Can't say I can get partner buy in to do hundreds of dollars in repairs - she'd likely say pull it all and fill it in which I'm avoiding as I love the pond myself.

Ideas:
1. Other skimmer boxes use caulk to seal. Called our irrigation/pond guy who's busy, didn't know much of Savio, and said they generally use caulk to seal for all their normal installations. Savio says not to use caulk since it's a pressure seal system. Still try to caulk the tiny lines of the skimmer box and retry system to see if it'll seal - still seems like a temporary fix?
2. Detach the liner, prop it up into the air essentially so the skimmer hole is just sticking up in the air above the fill lines, and fill the pond up one last time to ensure the leak isnt around the rocks (removing skimmer area from equation)
3. Purchase a new skimmer box. I'd imagine the holes in the liner wouldn't be exact and I'd have to pull the liner up/back into the main pond area to get fresh unpunctured liner. Reseat the skimmer box more forward in the ground, poke new holes, making the pond smaller?
4. Realize we're not doing fish and ponder if we need a new skimmer box - is there any way to ADD onto existing liner? Thought of taking the skimmer box out completely, fleshing the area out with more liner, a little deeper. The pond tubing is in the ground from the side and I wondered since the pump is already enclosed and no debris issues, if we could just set the pump on the bottom of the now-open-and-lined-skimmer-area. I thought about building a little bridge over the area to shade it.

Any thoughts on how I fix the leak?
I would love to take out the skimmer box and go with the more liner + pump on bottom approach for my own reasons.

Algae being an entirely different subject - still water is developing green string algae it appears. Given our setup, adding some algaecide, and system actually working/cycling water - will we still be getting algae?

IMG_9757.JPG

pond1.png

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0077.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Since there is no fish in the pond, Iwould do option 2 first and remove the skimmer from the equation and refill to see if that does it. If so, then. Would do the caulk/silicone route on the skimmer. Never used savio skimmers that being said, all skimmers use the same basic concept. Faceplate with screws clamping the liner to the skimmer, pressure from the screws makes a water proof seal. I would try the silicone(typically used)/caulk route, even though it says it’s not necessary, to see if that stops the leak.

4. Yes you can add liner, there is a sticky in the pond construction forum on how to seam liners together.

Adding an algaecide is an option but doesn’t solve the problem of nutrients in the pond that is causing the algae to thrive. What it does is creates a cycle of the dead algae (unless removed)creating nutrients for the next round of algae. Once you get the leak solved, and pumps running the easiest solution is to add lots of plants to the pond starving the algae out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, first post. Been lurking a bit due to lack of time and finally got a moment to post!

Since there is no fish in the pond, Iwould do option 2 first and remove the skimmer from the equation and refill to see if that does it. If so, then. Would do the caulk/silicone route on the skimmer. Never used savio skimmers that being said, all skimmers use the same basic concept. Faceplate with screws clamping the liner to the skimmer, pressure from the screws makes a water proof seal. I would try the silicone(typically used)/caulk route, even though it says it’s not necessary, to see if that stops the leak.

4. Yes you can add liner, there is a sticky in the pond construction forum on how to seam liners together.

Adding an algaecide is an option but doesn’t solve the problem of nutrients in the pond that is causing the algae to thrive. What it does is creates a cycle of the dead algae (unless removed)creating nutrients for the next round of algae. Once you get the leak solved, and pumps running the easiest solution is to add lots of plants to the pond starving the algae out.
What type of plants and in what quantity? We're in northern Wisconsin.
We have some type of semiaquatic plant(arrowhead?) around the rocks with roots in water. Would love to add water lilies. There is currently nothing on the bottom of the pond - if I read someone correct, dirt and then a layer of gravel to help plants?
Sounds like even if we would have got the pond up and running, this still would have been an issue eh?

Should we be draining the pond in the winter? I drained and took pump out last year, got a water hippo early spring but it went away over time as water was in it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also any way to tell what type/mil my liner is w/o taking a piece to someone?

Reaction score
Country
United States
why does this matter . if there's no leak or deuteriation

Shrug? Does it matter or not? again, I'm new new - would imagine most would say "yes!" given there are different grades and pvc, pex, poly pipe, etc doesn't make a great seal between them - wasn't sure if it mattered here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What type of material surely matters but not so much the thickness. IF YOU EXPOSE SOME is if flexable as in it stretches?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it certainly looks like epdm rubber from your photo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
good advice above; also, VERY VERY thorough pics. Really helps see any problems. Follow jhn's suggestions and see what you have before moving forward.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
New homeowner as of last year, trying to get our pond purely operational. Complete pond newbie who is learning.

Goal: No fish planned. We have lots of natural wildlife which live around/come to the pond (ducks, deer, rabbits, frogs, garters, the birds, etc) and we're content w/ the vegetation/appearance + trickle sounds for now. We're OK using algaecide or what not.

Pond: Small entrance pond on the right, fills, runs over the flagstone into a river bed, under bridge, into the main pond, flowing back to the bottom left into the Savio compact skimmer box - uses pressure for the seal. Inside the skimmer is just an enclosed pump, no other filtration/catch. No aeration currently in the pond or UV. Other than occasional floating fall leaves/garden chopping, it is debris free and gets a ton of sun. The homeowners had a tote full of random pump gear - a small pump to drain, extra pond hosing, the filter which goes in the skimmer(pump+filter do not both fit so guessing they left it out?), other random parts I'm not sure of yet.
Pond is probably 3-4ft deep, the deepest point is probably an area of 5' x 2' on the bottom.

Issue: The main pond leaks. I'm not entirely sure the pond worked currently when we purchased the house. I have a feeling they had the pond fill for the pictures and had it on for the showing. Looking back at the realtor pics, I can see the water isn't on and flowing over the flagstone in the initial pond. It's lower than the hump which keeps the water in which suggests this has been a thing for some time.
I had the system on early in the year and it drained. My definition of drained = not enough water to go in the skimmer and keep the system cycling. Filled the main pond and left the system off - drained in 12 hours. The pond area seems to be draining as the skimmer will hold water fine. After researching, sounded as though this type of skimmer box gets rusty bolts every 10-15 years (we're at 16 now) and it's a leak spot. Took the faceplate off - screws were entirely fine but the faceplate had a hairline crack running the middle across the screw lines like someone overtightened it and maybe winter expansion caused crack. After even more crazy research, finally found/ordered a new skimmer faceplate. Replaced and the pond drained again over the course of 2-3 days which was better but still bad. (picture with chalk on the side of the skimmer measuring how fast the water was dropping over time) Drained the pond again and removed all the rocks/debris at the minimum water level to see if I had cuts in the liner and saw nothing. Minimum level is always around the bottom of the screw holes for the skimmer.
Getting annoyed as can't keep the pond filled due to draining and can't keep the pond empty due to rain so it's becoming a mosquito pond.
Found a hack to try washers on the outside of the faceplate for more even distribution of pressure/seal. It didn't work.

Newbie thoughts: Started trying to research parts of the pond and see there may not be a mandatory need for a skimmer box in all setups? Like I noted, we're pretty debris free, some amateur pump, have a net to skim, no fish. Can't say I can get partner buy in to do hundreds of dollars in repairs - she'd likely say pull it all and fill it in which I'm avoiding as I love the pond myself.

Ideas:
1. Other skimmer boxes use caulk to seal. Called our irrigation/pond guy who's busy, didn't know much of Savio, and said they generally use caulk to seal for all their normal installations. Savio says not to use caulk since it's a pressure seal system. Still try to caulk the tiny lines of the skimmer box and retry system to see if it'll seal - still seems like a temporary fix?
2. Detach the liner, prop it up into the air essentially so the skimmer hole is just sticking up in the air above the fill lines, and fill the pond up one last time to ensure the leak isnt around the rocks (removing skimmer area from equation)
3. Purchase a new skimmer box. I'd imagine the holes in the liner wouldn't be exact and I'd have to pull the liner up/back into the main pond area to get fresh unpunctured liner. Reseat the skimmer box more forward in the ground, poke new holes, making the pond smaller?
4. Realize we're not doing fish and ponder if we need a new skimmer box - is there any way to ADD onto existing liner? Thought of taking the skimmer box out completely, fleshing the area out with more liner, a little deeper. The pond tubing is in the ground from the side and I wondered since the pump is already enclosed and no debris issues, if we could just set the pump on the bottom of the now-open-and-lined-skimmer-area. I thought about building a little bridge over the area to shade it.

Any thoughts on how I fix the leak?
I would love to take out the skimmer box and go with the more liner + pump on bottom approach for my own reasons.

Algae being an entirely different subject - still water is developing green string algae it appears. Given our setup, adding some algaecide, and system actually working/cycling water - will we still be getting algae?

View attachment 141614
View attachment 141625
View attachment 141616
View attachment 141618View attachment 141620View attachment 141621View attachment 141622View attachment 141624
Not impressed with this skimmers design the thin bead of hard plastic that would seal the liner is not what i would call ideal. There is not one drop of caulking anywhere on that skimmer face. I myself would think about a new skimmer . i'm really not impressed with that design. You can see the soil and moisture on the bottom row of the skimmer. The pond digger has a couple videos of how to install an liner to skimmers . I am not surprised yours has been leaking. the fact that your screws are in an area that does not have the seal is a mediaoka design it would have been much better having those screws right on the seal point but they are not. and again there is no silicone or anything anywhere. I would venture to guess if i was a betting man this is your leak

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Great explanation of issues. And good advice above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Good advice above. If it were me, I'd remove the skimmer, pull up the liner and fill in where the skimmer was - no patching required. I had a pond with fish and no skimmer for 20 years (in Chicagoland), with very few problems, I netted debris out routinely, tolerated bottom muck (smooth liner bottom) until I couldn't stand it and shop vac'd the worst of the muck.
Pull your pump out in the winter and put it back in, in the spring. If you have sun on the pond, you should be able to have water lilies. Hardy ones would probably winter over, and tropical water lilies you'd want to put in your basement (or buy new in the spring).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me surface skimming is about the best preventative maintenance there is. so much gets blown in to the pond all day and night long . when this happens most floats for a time and in that time i'd rather it got drawn into a skimmer and into a matala pad then allow it to settle to the bottom and rot.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd go with silicone around the seal after a good clean first. Replacing the skimmer or just ridding of it would be much more work and may not be necessary. It looks like none was used in the first place. I have very little debris and use a pump off the bottom to a bog and don't find a skimmer is needed. Good luck.

Ask a Question