Toad Pond Beginner....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All!

I am a Toad Pond beginner! I have a great shaded area in the corner of my backyard that I plan to use as a toad pond. Seeking construction suggestions / ideas, that will keep my pups OUT.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome,
unfortunately I have no experience in keeping toads.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Another member was asking about Porch Ponds and they are an excellent way to attract toads and provide a fairly safe environment given they are next to the house. Almost any water feature, especially shaded bogs with some cover like logs or rocks will attract toads. Toads live a very long life so think long-term with your project. Some live 20 or more years. The shaded area in your yard that you want to use will work well especially if it is moist. Hopefully it will be in an area that gets a good breeze. Mosquitoes will no doubt breed there until the toad population is well established and then, you might still get mosquitoes. So, position it well away from your home, say, down near a wood line. A very small, (20-30 gallon) preformed garden pond available from the big box guys will work great. Just dig it in and make sure the sides are a few inches above grade to prevent runoff water from entering. To keep it simple, add some native bog plants. Just keep it from drying out. You might have to add water mid-summer and if so, treat the water for chlorine/chloramines first. I assume by pups you mean dogs not kids. If dogs, forget it. Not all dogs bother toads but those that do could experience a very unpleasant encounter if the toad is harassed. Toads have a defense mechanism, the secretion of bufotoxin, which can be deadly to dogs.
Stephen

Ask a Question