Toads are mucking up my water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have counted about 25 toads doing their thing in my pond. Now don't get me wrong, I like toads as much as the next guy but my water now looks terrible. Murky and brownish green. Don't know if its toad poo along with them just generally stirring things up or what. Water was clear 2 weeks ago before they arrived. I'm getting a bit frustrated and ready to relocate most of these toads. Most are fairly small. Might be last years toad tads. I dont know. Any idea how long these buggers will hang out in the pond? I'm ready for them to go away and eat bugs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They will come back, they will calm down in another week or so. Mine are getting less every night now. Now it will be time for the bull frogs and tree frogs to start in :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My toads spent about a week having fun in the ponds , dozens of them. Then poof gone, leaving behind lots of eggs that hatch out pretty fast into tads, which munch on the algae. I don't worry about them they don't stay around for long.

The green frogs have now started up having fun in the ponds. dozens of them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, That's a lot of toads having fun in your pond haver ;)

As others have mentioned they don't stay long. Before you know it they will be on their way. Your fish will probably eat a lot of the tads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Had toads last year but only a few. Managed to produce a ton of toad tads. I don't think my fish eat them. I never even seen any morphing. Just one day tads, next day gone! :)
Never had this many toads around here before so these have to be last years. OMG what is it going to be like next year! Gonna have to put my pond in a bubble ha ha.
Well hoping things will wind down and I can get my water cleared up. Cant even see to the bottom. :(

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I pulled out my lowest pond this year.
I'm still digging on a my new one
Toads would just slide in and out too spawn
Hoping a few inces higher will keep them out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well we shall see if they make a noticable difference in the bug population at my house this year. Had a couple casualties withe the lawn mower already and a couple in the gravel driveway. :hungover: We try to watch for them but.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We've been invaded too. Night before last I thought all the toads in the county were making a racket in our pond. Yesterday, last night, and today was the party. Now that there's tiny black pearl necklaces all over the place, most of them have departed to parts unknown. There are a couple of males that didn't make the cut that are still out there singing, but all of the eligible females have moved on. Whether it's bad timing, or the wrong song, I don't know, but these hangers-on are going to have to leave because the big frogs are due pretty soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Mine have been carrying on for over 2 weeks. Must have lots of young males. Day and night!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get tons of toad eggs, then tads and see a lot of the little morphed toads hopping away. Even with all the activity, maybe spot a few toads in the yard over the summer. Never get an overload of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Going through the same thing, The remaining tadpoles in the pond were just getting ready to grow limbs when BAM one night walked out and could not hear myself think.

So there are now another batch in the pond, saw the strands of eggs everywhere the other night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Darn muckin' toads! My gardening buddy, "Wet Sprocket"!
image.jpg

Ask a Question