Toads or Frogs?

M

MariaTeresa

I'd like to get toads or frogs for my pond, however we have in the past had difficulty with people being kept awake by loud frogs. Does anyone know if toads are perhaps quieter? Or at least more melodious than bullfrogs?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They are all quite raucous when its mating time, Frogs are probably a little more melodious, but its like listening to a choir where each member is singing a different song in a different Key and all at one volume level.....LOUD!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone know if toads are perhaps quieter? Or at least more melodious than bullfrogs?

Bullfrogs are silent and peaceful in comparison to Toads.

Toads and Tree Frogs are the worst. If they move into my pond to mate I'll have to try to catch and relocate them. Green Frogs, Leopard Frogs, and Bullfrogs are three of the quieter species.

M

MariaTeresa

Thank you for your replies! I'm very glad I asked as now I know to go with the bullfrogs and not the toads. Perhaps the previous problem frogs were actually tree frogs. Now that I think about it, I know my dad has bullfrogs at his pond which is right up by the house and I can't remember ever having been bothered by their noise.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think it just depends on how many you have of either toads or frogs. This guy and his friends could stir up the night a bit but I love the noise the frogs make here. Never hear toads that I know of.
This video is from you tube:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bullfrogs are considered invasive species in many states because they eat almost everything and squeeze out other species including endangered frogs. They will eat birds also. I'm surprised that many stores only sell bullfrog tadpoles. I would look into other types of frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The tiniest frogs, peeper type, are the loudest IMO. They usually gather in large numbers, too, so maybe that's why. Frogs in nature are loud, and not sure neighbors would have any say in whether you got to keep them or not. :) As stated above, they are all noisy when it's mating time, this time of year. If you are trying to introduce frogs into your pond, maybe go to local ponds and see what frogs are there, and catch a few. Might be more successful in keeping them in your pond. You can't keep a tree frog if you don't have trees, same with any other frog that your yard doesn't have the proper environment for. But, then, in my yard, all the frogs come visiting me, I have not had to add anything. :) Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only time I really hear the toads at my pond is during breeding season. After that they leave for the most part and it's quiet again.

I actually enjoy listening to them. It gives me background noise which I prefer over total silence at night. In fact, I'm hoping they show up soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Betta is correct. Toads are loud less than a week, then poof, no sounds from them at all. I personally love to hear my bullfrogs talk to me. They sound like an old gruff man in comparison to the high pitched toads, tree frogs, and peepers, which I would more compare to hyper kids. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are people successful with frog or toad "imports"? Ours just show up on their own and do as they please - here today, gone tomorrow. The big bullfrogs tend to be pretty quiet - they are stealth hunters.

M

MariaTeresa

I think Bullfrogs are native here. It seems to me that I'd have a better chance of frogs hanging around if they started as tadpoles in my pond, rather than being introduced as adults. We'll go with the bullfrog tadpole and see what happens! Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Years ago we bought two bullfrog tadpoles. Both big bullfrogs were great additions to our pond. One summer night there was a massive thunderstorm. Next morning I went to throw dead flies to Sam & Dave but they were no shows. Walked to the street and there were both frogs now flat as pancakes. Really sad that frogs like the warmth of concrete streets.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh now that would be a horrible thing to have to witness @Big Lou
I'm so sad for you :(
I hate when I see the frogs flattened on the rain wet roads when I go for my walks.

Ask a Question