Tomatoes in a bog

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks for the information. It sounds like I will be better off just planting in the ground next to the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
For some reason, I can't grow them. I've tried the bog, that was disastrous, I tried the upside down thing, it burned up and died. It might just be me and my brown thumb.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I've only tried to grow them twice. I put them in a large pot that horse food comes in and they just went crazy! They were Better Boys and they ended up growing 9 feet tall and completely covered with fruit. I was just thinking that they would do pretty good from all of the nutrients found in a bog.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Well I do like to experiment. That would make a good topic for my blog. One plant in a bog and another in the ground. See which one does and tastes the best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a couple of stems that I pinched off some tomato plants when I was planting in the garden last year, so I thought "why not?" I stuck them in the bog, just like that. They grew like CRAZY! Lots of fruit, too - which my fish loved. As did the hummingbird moths that were attracted to my out of control bog tomato. And the bullfrogs? Loved the hummingbird moths!

The tomatoes were good - people told me they would either not set fruit or it would be tasteless, but they were as good as their parent plants growing in my garden. Try it - it was really fun! I won't do it again, only because they got so huge that my bog looked like one giant tomato vine for a few weeks there, but it was a cool experiment!

Ask a Question