Tomorrow will be a brighter day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some of you will remember that we had a bit of a pump/plumbing issue this winter that lead to the loss of all of our big koi. After much pondering (haha) between my husband and I, we decided to bite the bullet and have a local pond contractor come and re-install the pump for us. They are good pond builders, we've seen lots of their ponds and even got to watch them do an install during one of their workshop days, so I trust their work. They said they would offer some suggestions to make the plumbing a bit easier to manage in the future, which is really what we're looking for - another set of eyes with some good experience with ponds. I can physically do the work - I just want someone to make it easier to deal with.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow, our pond should be up and running again - the long, sad winter will be behind us, and nothing but springtime ahead of us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Good luck and we will be interested in what they came up with to improve your situation.

Ever since you're unfortunate occurrence, I've been researching flexible schedule 40 PVC pipe. I need to replace that horrible flimsy corrigated stuff that Tetra sells.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Crossing my fingers that it all turns out great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some of you will remember that we had a bit of a pump/plumbing issue this winter that lead to the loss of all of our big koi. After much pondering (haha) between my husband and I, we decided to bite the bullet and have a local pond contractor come and re-install the pump for us. They are good pond builders, we've seen lots of their ponds and even got to watch them do an install during one of their workshop days, so I trust their work. They said they would offer some suggestions to make the plumbing a bit easier to manage in the future, which is really what we're looking for - another set of eyes with some good experience with ponds. I can physically do the work - I just want someone to make it easier to deal with.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow, our pond should be up and running again - the long, sad winter will be behind us, and nothing but springtime ahead of us!
Hi Lisa. Good luck with the plumbing help. I am a big diy person when it comes to my pond, but being in construction for a long time I know there is nothing like having a professional do the work if you want everything right!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for all the good wishes!

He got the pump reconnected - I wasn't here to watch, but my husband said the guy stared at it for a bit from a few different angles and then unscrewed and turned the check valve a bit, screwed it back together and BOOM! Connected. Took him all of 10 minutes. The bog, however, is still frozen, so it will be a few days until the pump can be plugged back in, but he said the pump assembly looks perfect, the PVC glue we used was the correct product, and we shouldn't have any trouble with it from this point forward. Fingers crossed!

And now COME ON MOTHER NATURE! BRING US SOME WARM WEATHER!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Glad you got it fixed and looked at by a pro!
We're all itching for spring weather. Some in warmer climates are already there. Not here in PA, it snowed again last night, but it's getting warmer. One third the pond is now open water.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm so sorry to hear about your pond problem and your fish loss @Lisak1 . I hadn't been on this site much this winter and missed the sad news.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes very sad about the loss of your koi but it's good that you got that pump up and running again. I have a friend that owns a pet store in town and he fixes my pumps and gets them running again too.
Its been a long cold winter here too and I am looking forward to hot sunny days ahead. I just want to lay in the sun and get a nice golden tan this year....

Ask a Question