Too early?

Reaction score
Hello everyone and happy spring!
Well, my pond water temp has been a consistant 46-48 degrees this week and I figured i'd try to get an early start on my biofilter. So its up and running along with my waterfall. All the fish seemed to have survived this incredible winter ( not since the late 1700's have we had snow like this in valley forge) and i have to thank you all as you helped me throughout my pond building process last summer.
My major blunder in my pond construction was placing river stone all over each level of the pond. I since removed it, but too late as all the rock chalk is still sitting on the bottom looking like plain ole filth.
So here's my question. I have to go in and clean. my plan, submerge a pump on the bottom (3.5-4 ft) and pump some of the heavier water out until my top shelf is dry. Clean the top shelf and refill with creak water from my property. ( I changed water weekly last summer from the creek with no issues.) Is it too early for me to do this? And is this too large a water change (probably 20% of pond)?
Thanks everyone.
BR

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Apparently every one had a real winter this year
I would start sucking some of the bad out of the pond
Your creek water should be about the same temp
The fish will like it

Reaction score
Thanks DrCase.
My only concern is that my pond is in full sun. The creek is in the woods in a more shaded location. Never taken temp of creek. I'm just stir crazy and trying to get things started, perhaps before they need to be done.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just do 1/3 change a day ..That will let you get it clean why the weather feels good

Ask a Question