Too hot to spawn

Reaction score
June temps have pretty much been 95-100 degrees. The koi have not even attempted to spawn. The pond gets a lot of sun despite the water hyacinth and temps rise. No big deal but was wondering if hot temps prevent spawning.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
June temps have pretty much been 95-100 degrees. The koi have not even attempted to spawn. The pond gets a lot of sun despite the water hyacinth and temps rise. No big deal but was wondering if hot temps prevent spawning.

Temperatures when spawning has been reported to have occurred ranged from 15° C to 25° C. Optimal spawning temperature ranges have been reported to be 18 to 23° C and 19 to 23°.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not here. My one pond has spawned 7 times in 6 weeks! Temps have been in upper 80-90. Thinking about throwing ice in to get them to stop!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Air temp with water temp at 80-84. If it goes above that I do a water change but we have had daily thunderstorms wit lots of rain.

Reaction score
Temperatures when spawning has been reported to have occurred ranged from 15° C to 25° C. Optimal spawning temperature ranges have been reported to be 18 to 23° C and 19 to 23°.
Hmmm? Meyer I think you are the only US American I've ever seen who uses Celsius, willingly and of your own initiative. If only you could convince the other 3 million of ya metric it's not really that difficult. ;)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmm? Meyer I think you are the only US American I've ever seen who uses Celsius, willingly and of your own initiative. If only you could convince the other 3 million of ya metric it's not really that difficult. ;)

Its a habit that I picked up from reading mostly scientific articles and research papers. It is what the scientific community uses.

Reaction score
My water temps have been in the 90's and I do a water change just to cool them down.

Ask a Question