Too hot, too much sun??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Added 4 floaters and they're putting off runners, but centers are dying. Roots are long and uneaten by fish.
What temps do they prefer??
20220602_185456.jpg20220602_185458.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are those water hyacinths? I found them to be very picky! If they like the conditions, they will do great. If they don't, they won't do well at all! I know that doesn't answer your question but I thought it might help to know they can be fussy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Are these the only non-potted plants you have? How do you fertilize the others, with tabs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure about their temperature needs, but they do prefer direct sunlight.

Mine always grow well, but I haven't had any of them bloom for several years. A well informed garden center owner told me they need more sun.

I can tell you, mine were looking pretty bad too. I've had them in there for maybe a month and they were all turning yellow. Only very recently have they finally greened up.
So maybe it's just the weather.
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure about their temperature needs, but they do prefer direct sunlight.

Mine always grow well, but I haven't had any of them bloom for several years. A well informed garden center owner told me they need more sun.

I can tell you, mine were looking pretty bad too. I've had them in there for maybe a month and they were all turning yellow. Only very recently have they finally greened up.
So maybe it's just the weather.
I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania, zone 6b.

I've grown them before w/o issue.
They're very dead now. =(
They were in my QT pond, direct sun, and started to yellow.
Moved them to the bog for a little shade, as they were in shade at seller's place. But they hated that, too...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some people have moved them into a separate container with Miracle Grow. Once they seem healthier I believe they rinse them off and put them back in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
They need lotsa sun and like to be crowded. PA is not a good place for them as spring and fall doesnt give a lot of sun that they prefer. They like 70+ F temperatures.

Get large frogbits they live better in PA. I live in Central PA. If you ever pass by you can grab a clump for your pond. Mine stays alive in the snowing winter cause of my trough heater in the pond and they go wild in summer like now. They are easy to get online. They dont flower though like Hyacinths.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
For what it's worth, mine get about 6 hours / day of full sun, and also aren't happy. They multiplied like crazy when I first put them in there, so I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough nitrates (not enough gravel in the pond and no bog - yet). The ones in the shade seem to be greener than those in the sun, so who knows! They bloomed only once, right after I put them in there, so may have been all happy from their last meal at the water garden center.

I think I need a plant communicator here...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
For what it's worth, mine get about 6 hours / day of full sun, and also aren't happy. They multiplied like crazy when I first put them in there, so I'm wondering if they aren't getting enough nitrates (not enough gravel in the pond and no bog - yet). The ones in the shade seem to be greener than those in the sun, so who knows! They bloomed only once, right after I put them in there, so may have been all happy from their last meal at the water garden center.

I think I need a plant communicator here...
I think they want more than 6 hours. Google says minimum is 6-8 to survive

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think they want more than 6 hours. Google says minimum is 6-8 to survive
Interesting! At the water garden place, they were being grown under partial shade, but that might have been a temporary situation.

Actually, now that I think about it, the ones that are in full sun in my pond are getting full sunlight from about 9:00 to 17:00, so that actually should give them enough hours. And still, the ones that are in more shade seem to be doing better, which is a bit odd.

Meanwhile, I just saw in a really old thread that someone else also said that water hyacinths prefer to grow all crowded together. In other words, they're "herd plants". So that might also be an issue with mine, as the clumps keep getting separated as individual plants get pulled toward the intake bay. I may need to rig up a "hula hoop" our of old irrigation hose to keep them in place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of them has tiny new leaves. Not sure if it'll keep growing or not, but time will tell.

They need lotsa sun and like to be crowded. PA is not a good place for them as spring and fall doesnt give a lot of sun that they prefer. They like 70+ F temperatures.

Get large frogbits they live better in PA. I live in Central PA. If you ever pass by you can grab a clump for your pond. Mine stays alive in the snowing winter cause of my trough heater in the pond and they go wild in summer like now. They are easy to get online. They dont flower though like Hyacinths.

I'm in Virginia.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I had them in my pond the first and second year and they did better than good it was insane how fast they multiplied and spread across the pond. I'm in CT and it's a heck of a lot less friendly here than it is in pa for them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you know the ph of your water? Some plants are more ph sensitive than others. I have a pretty high ph pond because of the alkaline rocks and soil where I live, so some plants I've found just can't handle it.

Ask a Question