Too Late for Koi?

Reaction score
Just found a good deal on some koi and going to go select and pick about 20 of them on Saturday or Sunday. They look nice and are only $8-$10 a piece for 10-15". These are going in my mud pond but, I'm curious on what I should look out for. These fish are currently from a mud pond and this guy is a wholesale dealer to a lot of the places that sell them here. Think he is trying to thin his stock down a bit for next year’s spawn. Don't have a quarantine but, only have 4 koi in the pond currently so I'm not too concerned. Are they OK with the cold temperatures to introduce into the pond? Any insight would be helpful.

Here are a few pictures of some of his stock. What do you think?

Attachments

• koi5.jpg
    koi5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 359
  • koi10.jpg
    koi10.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 379
Reaction score
I tought so, not seen prices like this for that size of fish and the look nice. I was going to wait till spring but, feel I can't pass this up. I have to drive an hour to go pick them all up but, I'm heading that way anyway to go get more bentenite for my winter clay projects.

How many 20 gal storage totes you think I need to haul twenty (20) 15" koi?

Reaction score
Yes, at this time of year, you will certainly find crazy deals on koi.

Make sure to buy two of those battery operated air pumps. You can buy 'em at petsmart for about $10 each. You need to oxygenate them on your trip.

Reaction score
Our you could just get a inverter and use a 115v air pump. Even that may not be neccesary if the water you are transporting them in is below 60 and your only traveling an hour. This is however relative to the size of the container you are using to transport. Be carefull not to place them in your vehicle near a heater vent, better yet if you have a truck keep them in the back.......

Reaction score
It's a good point, Nc0. I have one of those cigarette lighter thingamajigees that allow you to put a plug right into it. I bet a small electrical powered air pump could easily be plugged into that. Hadn't thought of that...

Reaction score
I was not planning on a pump and the water should be pretty cold but may go get a few for the trip. How many 15" Koi can I get into a 20 gal storage container or would I be bettter off getting a bag for each fish. I'm thinking 4 fish per 20 gal container but that still seems to be a lot. I just don't know. How do people normaly transport big fish. The will all be going into the back of my truck.

Reaction score
I wouldn't go over 2 per container, and something like a 30 gallon drum with locking lid would be your best bet. I am not sure I would trust a bag of that size unless you can find some good 6 mill bags.

Reaction score
I sent an email to the guy and he says he has some large bags that he puts them in, one per bag and places the bags in a box. He says you don't want to give them much room to move or they can hurt themselves. He's a fish hatchery guy so I assume he knows his stuff. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I'm going to take the storage containers just to be safe.

Reaction score
you do what he says then. If he's got huge bags then that's what you do. Definitely bring boxes to secure them so that the bags aren't sliding all about.

Reaction score
Status update. Didn't get my fish cause we couldn't find the place, very rural area. I'm rescheduling with him for a half way meet when and if it gets warmer.

Reaction score
I think you should investigate the plastic bag thing.
When we bought our original koi 11 and 12 years ago we bought them
at a local aquatic and pond nursery here on LI. They have been in
business for over 100 years. Four generations.

They put the fish in plastic bags and also fill the bags with oxygen.
They are only a 15 minute drive from us. They recommend that you take
the fish home before doing other errands, with the fish in the car..

Here is the link to the nursery. If you email them, maybe they can
help you, they are all very nice.

http://www.waterlilyfarm.com/

Ask a Question