Too many comets...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

after having some serious issues with a heron, I've always had to replenish my fish stock every now and then. Well, the heron issue has been solved, but I bought some new koi in March to replace the ones lost. Everything's great until my six goldfish (mostly comets) decide this will be a good year to reproduce! There has now been three different batches of fry this year. The oldest about 2.5" and the youngest about 3/4". I can't count them, but I'm pretty sure there are more than 30 in total. I love that they find my pond a great healthy place to live and reproduce, but now I have too many fish! What do I do? The goldfish were sort of test fish when I first got the pond. Koi is what I want to keep. :-/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your local garden center .They may know people or you can post there .I did that and gave all my babies away and even have a waiting list .I meet the people there .

Reaction score
Country
United States
May I know how did you solve your heron prob? :)

Hi all,

after having some serious issues with a heron, I've always had to replenish my fish stock every now and then. Well, the heron issue has been solved, but I bought some new koi in March to replace the ones lost. Everything's great until my six goldfish (mostly comets) decide this will be a good year to reproduce! There has now been three different batches of fry this year. The oldest about 2.5" and the youngest about 3/4". I can't count them, but I'm pretty sure there are more than 30 in total. I love that they find my pond a great healthy place to live and reproduce, but now I have too many fish! What do I do? The goldfish were sort of test fish when I first got the pond. Koi is what I want to keep. :-/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a local store just down the street that sells fresh water and salt water aquarium fish along with comets and koi. They have several very large ponds (probably 10,000 gallons or more).

Every spring and fall when the water is cold and the fish are slow I try to scoop out as many comets as I can. I fill a ice chest with pond water and stick and air stone in it until I have caught as many as I can, then haul the ice chest down to that store and donate them for resale.

It all works quite well except the catching the fish part, that's a pain LOL.

My goal is to eventually get rid of all the comets. But they do make babies fast so its an uphill battle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

You could try the pet trade but I doubt they will take them , advertize them in your local paper or online.
What is the depth and gallonage of yur pond please ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, whistling Badger! The heron is not coming back! :)

There's a pond store forty miles from here. They will take them. A bit of a drive, but I'll make sure to get some supplies while there, so it will be worth it. I know they are "just" fish, but I still want them to get to a good home so to speak. I'm sure the fish and tackle store would take them, but I couldn't do that.

Onyxlinkia, I bought a 6' air dancer. One of those hideous things you see outside stores. Its erradic moves keep the heron away when no one is home. When it's turned off, it takes up no space at all. It only weighs 10lbs, so easy to move out of sight too. I keep mine in a large planter. That way you can't see it when it's not "dancing" and it cuts down on the noise. Haven't seen the heron since we got it and it used to come by at least twice per day. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see....you are the one with the air dancer. I think it's a good idea but the dancer is quite expensive but relatively cheap comparing to keep replacing koi:)

No, whistling Badger! The heron is not coming back! :)

There's a pond store forty miles from here. They will take them. A bit of a drive, but I'll make sure to get some supplies while there, so it will be worth it. I know they are "just" fish, but I still want them to get to a good home so to speak. I'm sure the fish and tackle store would take them, but I couldn't do that.

Onyxlinkia, I bought a 6' air dancer. One of those hideous things you see outside stores. Its erradic moves keep the heron away when no one is home. When it's turned off, it takes up no space at all. It only weighs 10lbs, so easy to move out of sight too. I keep mine in a large planter. That way you can't see it when it's not "dancing" and it cuts down on the noise. Haven't seen the heron since we got it and it used to come by at least twice per day. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine was about $100. That might seem like a lot, but compared to replacing 10" - 12" koi, it was worth it. The heron only took fish that were 6" or bigger. I'm now enjoying seeing my fish grow into large beautiful fish. :)

Ask a Question