Too Many Nutrients From What?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been a while since I posted any questions about my pond as it has done really well through it’s first summer. Currently I am experiencing green water which other than the first couple weeks after first fill when it cycled, it’s been crystal clear. I have not added anything to the pond, I have removed anything and tests are all in the good range.

Pond is approx. 14’ W x 20’ L x 4’ D (at the deepest in middle). No fish, just plants and a bog filter that is approx. 4’ W x 7’ L x 16” D, pea gravel on top of manifold. Zone is 5b.

One thought I have is the water hibiscus may be dying off as a few nights have been cool (low 50’s) and the roots have turned all black. The leaves on a lot of them have started to go brown so I know it’s near it’s end so should I pull them all out? I think yes but wanted to know what others have done with it and when.

Tks
Kyle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Once they start to die they will quickly turn to mush. And those may be adding nutrients to the pond as they decay.

I'm not sure how your pond cycled without fish - enlighten me on that one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cycled perhaps was the wrong word, maybe “settled” is correct. Pond was very cloudy after startup for a while and then nicely cleared. Removed the hibiscus as I think they are the major culprit and likely the water lettuce has to go as well. Tks.

Ask a Question