Too many orange koi Fry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I’m relatively new to keeping koi, having purchased my first batch of about five fish approximately five years ago. Since then, our collection has grown to about 20 fish in a large unfiltered pond with a lot of plants.
The fish have bread again this year and produced a large number of simple orange koi as well as some very colorful and beautiful fish. There is no way that my pond can handle this number of fish. I don’t imagine there is much of a market for these pure orange koi fry which are growing quickly. I don’t want to kill them. What do I do??? Please advise

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593535587879.gif
@Naomi B
You can try putting them on nextdoor.com as you join it and choose your own neighborhood. It's all over the whole country. Lots of people looking to start ponds and need fish. Make sure they have a big enough pond that can handle those big koi.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m relatively new to keeping koi, having purchased my first batch of about five fish approximately five years ago. Since then, our collection has grown to about 20 fish in a large unfiltered pond with a lot of plants.
The fish have bread again this year and produced a large number of simple orange koi as well as some very colorful and beautiful fish. There is no way that my pond can handle this number of fish. I don’t imagine there is much of a market for these pure orange koi fry which are growing quickly. I don’t want to kill them. What do I do??? Please advise
Hi are these koi or cross breed with gold fish any pictures?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys for all of your good ideas! These are pure Koi both butterfly and plain both orange and other colors available. Some of these fish are gorgeous. They are only about 2 inches long so it is hard to get images of them. Otherwise I would attach Photos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in Lafayette, Louisiana. I have a friend that has been looking for an orange koi. Are you near me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Where about are you pleas hope not the other side of the sea as interested

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to prevent this from happening again AFTER BREEDING SEASON throw a sunfish in the pond they will make sure you never see a baby again. they will also eat just about any food you give them. and if they get too big and aggressive they are easy to catch Shimano to the rescue

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! The sunfish will get very big because I have a 20‘ x 40‘ pond with a lot of Natural plants and food. What would I do with the sunfish when I am finished with him or would he not get too big for this pond? The baby Koi Are about 2 inches long is it an appropriate time to get the sunfish? Will the sun fish eat the tadpoles as well? We like breeding frogs and toads.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sun fish do not get huge a full grown fat sunfish is no bigger then a flat honey due Mellon

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And you can always catch him using fishing gear and if you got him from a local stream or pond i would think releasing him back would.t upset the environmentalist too much they will have undoubtedly objections of some sort. or they are good eaten. Key is to not get a pregnant fish or your going to get over run with them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! The sunfish will get very big because I have a 20‘ x 40‘ pond with a lot of Natural plants and food. What would I do with the sunfish when I am finished with him or would he not get too big for this pond? The baby Koi Are about 2 inches long is it an appropriate time to get the sunfish? Will the sun fish eat the tadpoles as well? We like breeding frogs and toads.
Don't feed the fish . Break out the fishing rod put on the smallest hula power you can find an easy catch.

Ask a Question