Too many roots

Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum. Built a pond 8 years ago, 6' X 12' and have enjoyed it very much. My problem is its done too well. Put in lillys and a small basket of cattails. along with what I call coontail. It was 2 foot deep when I built it but I have a giant root mass in the bottom now making it about 1 foot deep. I have drained it and am re-doing it now. I think most of the root is from the cattail which spread through the whole pond. Anything I can do to control this?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need to pull the root mass out and cut it up.
just put a few chunks of root back in pots and watch them every year to keep them under control

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, I did just that this morning on my upper pond. The root mass was damming up the water and causing the upper pond to not drain into the lower one. My only choice was to remove the root mass of the hyssop and parrots feather.

It was beautiful before, now I have to wait a month or so for it to grow enough to look good again.

Reaction score
I have no Koi but do have goldfish. Started with 18, they multiplied to over 60, then last fall a heron cut them back to about 20. I drained it and took out all the roots. Now have it filled again and replanted some of the lillys. Hopefully it will return to its prime again soon.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Have you looked at the permitted extensions and sizes. When you click on manage attachments, it shows you what is permitted. If it fits the profile, then click upload and it should work fine.

shellena

I can always figure out how to figure it out!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b 9a. Or 8a 9b
Country
United States
I have the same problem with the ever growing iris! After I give mine a hair cut I put the roots that I cut off into big buckets with aerators and wait for the fry to come alive! Like an incubator, or nursery.
Hi, new to this forum. Built a pond 8 years ago, 6' X 12' and have enjoyed it very much. My problem is its done too well. Put in lillys and a small basket of cattails. along with what I call coontail. It was 2 foot deep when I built it but I have a giant root mass in the bottom now making it about 1 foot deep. I have drained it and am re-doing it now. I think most of the root is from the cattail which spread through the whole pond. Anything I can do to control this?
have

Ask a Question