Too many tadpoles?

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a VERY dry spring here in Florida we finally have started to get some good rains. Of course, along with the rain comes the frog orgies in my pond and as a result, thousands of tadpoles. I like all the different lifeforms in my pond. In my mind it means it's a good place for not just my Koi and Goldfish, but also turtles, frogs and...some snakes. :)

My fish are now big enough to eat the tadpoles, which didn't seem to be a problem last year when they were smaller. My problem is that in the last three weeks I've had six floaters. One Koi and the rest Goldfish. My question is, could that be due to them eating the tadpoles? Should I quit feeding them their regular food? If so, what about the little guys that are too small to eat tadpoles?

The water has been tested and is ideal.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never known of tadpoles causing fish kills.
Exactly what are "ideal" water test results? Numerics?
Remind us of your pond's specs. Total gallonage? Total fish and sizes? flow rate of pump?
Your profile says "natural Pond". Is it earthen-bottom?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tadpoles coating the bottom of my big fish pond, no dead fish from them snacking on the tads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Might depend on what kind of frog. My friend in Palm beach had to rush her dog to vet because of a frog. Forgot what kind, Vet said he gets several dogs a year poisoned by them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have heard of this ,my sisters dog a couple of years ago got very sick from killing frogs and vet said the same .He even said he has had a couple that died .He thought it could have been from the frogs hopping in grass that had fertilizer or weed killer on it .Since the county sprays weed killer along the side of roads to take back over growth

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pup does the sniff dance, she stretches out as far as she can, sniffs and dances away fast...............

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My dogs are scared to death of the frogs even the tiny ones I show them in the bucket .

Ask a Question