Too much air

Reaction score
Ok Guys and Girls.

Having bought my house with the pond already up and running,

For the first year, i used to just feed the fish, ( all Kio) and just clean the filters when needed.

Then about a year ago, i really started to get into it, the big Kios would come up and play around when i went down and everything was great,

I started to test the water once a week and bought a pond hover to clear the muck of the bottom, you no the story!!

Then, about a month ago, i looked out to my shock to see the water full not working and see the biggest of them belly up!!

I shot out to the pond to find 7 of them all dead!!! Around £7500 worth, i wasn't worried about the money, i had got very attached to them!!

The reason for the water full to stop is still unknown, i reset the trip and its never stopped since

Sad day, took a test, water perfect!

Spoke to the local pond supplies to find this was common in the uk due to the weather!!

It was to do with the air at the bottom of the pond, or lack of!! With the waterfull of for them hours they just couldnt cope!!

So, all plants removed, New air pump fitted with four air stones and one in the filter box, advice form the local pond shop!!

The remaining fish seem a lot more happy now,

My question to you experts is, i cant give them to much air now can i???

Got half a dozen prize kios due soon from a family member who is now to old to cope with them, cant go though losing any more fish.

Sorry for the long read, just new to this and want to get it right!!

Cole

Reaction score
a 1000 litre pond or 265 Gallons isn't enough water volume to sustain 7 Koi. Dissolved oxygen needs to be 7 PPM or higher and small water volume and high temp will drop the oxygen rapidly in the water and no circulation makes this worse.

You should measure the disovlved oxygen (test kits for this) and see where you land. You may be on the edge with so little water that your fish may constantly have less oxygen than they need. The oxygen must have been almost zero for fish to die so rapidly, normally they can gasp at the surface for hours before they die.

Reaction score
newday3000 said:
a 1000 litre pond or 265 Gallons isn't enough water volume to sustain 7 Koi. Dissolved oxygen needs to be 7 PPM or higher and small water volume and high temp will drop the oxygen rapidly in the water and no circulation makes this worse.

You should measure the disovlved oxygen (test kits for this) and see where you land. You may be on the edge with so little water that your fish may constantly have less oxygen than they need. The oxygen must have been almost zero for fish to die so rapidly, normally they can gasp at the surface for hours before they die.

im sorry to say, i did note that they were all hungry to get under the waterful ( i no now for air ) but didnt no what i know now!!

Reaction score
newday3000 said:

Thank you for the advice tho,i don't ever want to lose another due to my lack of knowledge!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your air pump will help...the more aire pumped thru, the more oxygen absorbed.. your fish will appreciate it..you had too many fish unless they were 4" or less.... live and learn!! if 7 died how many did you have?

Reaction score
I might have got the size wrong, its 10 foot, by 8 foot and 4 foot deep!!

Never worked out the correct size.

Kioguy, still have 11 left, only the big ones died!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well if its 8x10x4 all the way across the bottom its almost 2400 u.s gals. but if its tiered (in levels) its less.. you have to go by its average depth 8 x 10x ? x 7.48 = pond volume (u.s gals) if its over 1000 gals and you have a good enough filter. your fine for a while. you should be turning over your pond once an hour thru a GOOD bio filter. and never clean your filters with a hose ..use a bucket of pond water.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you lost your Koi. I would definately reconsider adding any more Koi to the 11 you have left. It sounds to me like you were at the limit on the number your pond could support and losing your aeration put them past their limit.

I would concentrate on keeping your survivors happy and not crowd them again. GOOD LUCK!

Reaction score
Billkeyups said:
Sorry to hear you lost your Koi. I would definately reconsider adding any more Koi to the 11 you have left. It sounds to me like you were at the limit on the number your pond could support and losing your aeration put them past their limit.

I would concentrate on keeping your survivors happy and not crowd them again. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the advice Billkeyups.

I have taken four, 15" koi from a dying family member, they look lost in the pond! since having the air stones, all fish are happy and keen for food, all ok so far!!

Ask a Question