Too much filtration?

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Bobin, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Bobin

Bobin

Hi all,
    As the title reads really or is it a case of more is better?

I have this pond
    http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-supplies/preformed-pond-pe-500-litre/oa36768

With this filter/pump
    https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-...MIusjQldzN2QIVij8bCh2eew0kEAQYASABEgK8j_D_BwE

I have seen this filter as a discounted product at a local store
    http://www.swelluk.com/blagdon-mini...MIwJ6Lp93N2QIVdBbTCh2CIQv8EAAYAiAAEgITnvD_BwE

I was thinking of adding it to my current setup, would this be a good thing to do or wouldn’t it make much difference at all? I have 5 goldfish in my pond, a Lilly and an oxygenating plant.

Many thanks.

Bobin, Mar 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Bobin

sissy sissy

I have koi and have 2 large filters so with koi to much is never enough .Do you test your water .

sissy, Mar 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Bobin

Bobin

To be honest I’ve had the pond probably just over a year now, at first I did the new pond cycle before adding fish and the only time I had it tested was when I went to buy the fish.

Bobin, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Bobin

sissy sissy

At first it should be tested often .Ammonia can kill fish .Get a API liquid test kit .As the fish get bigger it may be a problem .The more food they eat the more problems you may have

sissy, Mar 2, 2018
    Bobin likes this.
  5. Bobin

Bobin

Thanks for the advice sissy, I shall order a kit now.

Bobin, Mar 2, 2018
  6. Bobin

Gordo33

You want to recirculate the ponds total water volume 1.5 to 2X an hour depending on fish load. Your pond holds 500 liters . The first pump states for 1000L but the specs say max flow rate 600L. This doesn't take into account restrictions in water flow caused by plumbing and filtration. Therefore I don't think the first pump is enough. The second pump at 6000L is over kill. But if it's a good price you can dial down the flow on the out put side of the pump.

Gordo33, Mar 2, 2018
    Bobin and sissy like this.
  7. Bobin

sissy sissy

True and the pumps come rated for head height also .It lowers the pumps water outflow

sissy, Mar 2, 2018
    Bobin and Gordo33 like this.
  8. Bobin

Bobin

Ah it seems I need a new pump too then, the description is kind of misleading you don't actually get a pump with the filter that I'm interested in.
    I want a bigger pond eventually so would it be a wise idea to buy bigger now rather than buying a little bigger now and then bigger again later on, especially if I can turn down the flow rate down to suit this pool then back up when I have a bigger pool.

Bobin, Mar 2, 2018
    Gordo33 likes this.
  9. Bobin

sissy sissy

Depends on how long before you go bigger .I have always used 2 pumps and extra water goes into the bottom of the pond and plus into my home made spitter .I live in a rural area so don't want 1 pump to go out and be in a mad rush to get another one .

sissy, Mar 2, 2018
  10. Bobin

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

can never have enough filtration, imo. If you're committed to a larger pond in the near future, for sure I'd put any new money into something that'll help you in the future. Investigate filter (systems) that you can easily maintain, i.e. if you don't have a lot of regular time, look for something that'll continue to function for longer periods of time between cleanings. I like to enjoy sitting and watching the wildlife, not dealing with cleaning filters all the time.

Michael

brokensword, Mar 3, 2018
    Bobin likes this.
  11. Bobin

Bobin

Thanks for your replies.
    I've decided I'm going to keep this pond and maybe have it as a patio pond, well at the end of the patio and the bigger pond in the area where my current pond sits at the moment.
    I've looked for a better pump and found this
    http://www.swelluk.com/blagdon-mini...ghadduMtsZoZh26PWzTo2q-MHUURgnjhoCR4QQAvD_BwE
    This is discounted to £100 in my local shop, would this be a better setup to what I'm currently using?

Bobin, Mar 4, 2018
  12. Bobin

ShawnInfirmity

I don't believe there really can be TOO much filtration in the world of goldfish or koi, they are incredibly messy fish. The only thing I would be concerned about is if the kit would be overkill on the flow side of things. If you're able to turn down the flow rate to suit your current pond size I would go for as much filtration as I could afford. My pond is about 450+ gallons and I have a 1000 gallon per hour pump running the water through my filtration setup and it works great. Like @Gordo33 said, most people recommend circulating/filtering the water volume 2x per hour for any container that houses goldfish or koi whether it be an aquarium or a pond.

ShawnInfirmity, Mar 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question