Too much filtration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
As the title reads really or is it a case of more is better?

I have this pond
http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/aquarium-supplies/preformed-pond-pe-500-litre/oa36768

With this filter/pump
https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-...MIusjQldzN2QIVij8bCh2eew0kEAQYASABEgK8j_D_BwE

I have seen this filter as a discounted product at a local store
http://www.swelluk.com/blagdon-mini...MIwJ6Lp93N2QIVdBbTCh2CIQv8EAAYAiAAEgITnvD_BwE

I was thinking of adding it to my current setup, would this be a good thing to do or wouldn’t it make much difference at all? I have 5 goldfish in my pond, a Lilly and an oxygenating plant.

Many thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and have 2 large filters so with koi to much is never enough .Do you test your water .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I’ve had the pond probably just over a year now, at first I did the new pond cycle before adding fish and the only time I had it tested was when I went to buy the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At first it should be tested often .Ammonia can kill fish .Get a API liquid test kit .As the fish get bigger it may be a problem .The more food they eat the more problems you may have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
You want to recirculate the ponds total water volume 1.5 to 2X an hour depending on fish load. Your pond holds 500 liters . The first pump states for 1000L but the specs say max flow rate 600L. This doesn't take into account restrictions in water flow caused by plumbing and filtration. Therefore I don't think the first pump is enough. The second pump at 6000L is over kill. But if it's a good price you can dial down the flow on the out put side of the pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah it seems I need a new pump too then, the description is kind of misleading you don't actually get a pump with the filter that I'm interested in.
I want a bigger pond eventually so would it be a wise idea to buy bigger now rather than buying a little bigger now and then bigger again later on, especially if I can turn down the flow rate down to suit this pool then back up when I have a bigger pool.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Depends on how long before you go bigger .I have always used 2 pumps and extra water goes into the bottom of the pond and plus into my home made spitter .I live in a rural area so don't want 1 pump to go out and be in a mad rush to get another one .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can never have enough filtration, imo. If you're committed to a larger pond in the near future, for sure I'd put any new money into something that'll help you in the future. Investigate filter (systems) that you can easily maintain, i.e. if you don't have a lot of regular time, look for something that'll continue to function for longer periods of time between cleanings. I like to enjoy sitting and watching the wildlife, not dealing with cleaning filters all the time.

Michael

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your replies.
I've decided I'm going to keep this pond and maybe have it as a patio pond, well at the end of the patio and the bigger pond in the area where my current pond sits at the moment.
I've looked for a better pump and found this
http://www.swelluk.com/blagdon-mini...ghadduMtsZoZh26PWzTo2q-MHUURgnjhoCR4QQAvD_BwE
This is discounted to £100 in my local shop, would this be a better setup to what I'm currently using?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't believe there really can be TOO much filtration in the world of goldfish or koi, they are incredibly messy fish. The only thing I would be concerned about is if the kit would be overkill on the flow side of things. If you're able to turn down the flow rate to suit your current pond size I would go for as much filtration as I could afford. My pond is about 450+ gallons and I have a 1000 gallon per hour pump running the water through my filtration setup and it works great. Like @Gordo33 said, most people recommend circulating/filtering the water volume 2x per hour for any container that houses goldfish or koi whether it be an aquarium or a pond.

Ask a Question