Too much? Or not enough?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can somebody please tell me what the rule is when wanting to extend your existing Pond by overlapping a new liner over the existing one? Am I only allowed to extend it just enough to where the existing liner allows me to create a berm above the waterline? And how do you adhere a new liner to an existing one? And what if the existing liner is 45mil epdm and the new one is that poly type liner from Home Depot? Can those two liners be bonded together? And how would you do it if the existing liner is crinkled from variations in the shelving and elevations of the pond itself? Id totally appreciate your guidance. Peace to you all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes. you can have a berm above water level at least 6 inches in my book a foot preferably . but at the 6 inches a quick bead of silicone or other adhesive that sticks to edpm like pl s30 roofing caulk.

the folded over liner is a fight and i would practice on some scrap pieces a few times before you think about the one in the pond . its tricky when its not flat . but it can be done ...

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes. you can have a berm above water level at least 6 inches in my book a foot preferably . but at the 6 inches a quick bead of silicone or other adhesive that sticks to edpm like pl s30 roofing caulk.

the folded over liner is a fight and i would practice on some scrap pieces a few times before you think about the one in the pond . its tricky when its not flat . but it can be done ...
Thank you Gbbud, I appreciate your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder about the idea of seaming EPDM with a different material, though. I would research a little more before doing it. GBUDD, did you see that part of the question?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Under water i wouldn't ............. i have used epdm seam tape both single and double sided tapes to bond to aluminum, metals, wood the primer/ glue is a contact cement . i have never tried to glue / bond / seal to say pvc or hdrre . Nor would I if it was to be under water and then rocked. PVC has it's own method of bolding which i believe is superior as its actually melted together . hdrpe has it's own method i believe it's a caulking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Under water i wouldn't ............. i have used epdm seam tape both single and double sided tapes to bond to aluminum, metals, wood the primer/ glue is a contact cement . i have never tried to glue / bond / seal to say pvc or hdrre . Nor would I if it was to be under water and then rocked. PVC has it's own method of bolding which i believe is superior as its actually melted together . hdrpe has it's own method i believe it's a caulking.
Interesting. Just to be clear, when i said it waspoly, im assuming thats what that billboard material is made of. Am i correct?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
not my expertise, I know they use hdpre and pvc i don't know of waspoly

Reaction score
Country
United States
not my expertise, I know they use hdpre and pvc i don't know of waspoly
Ok i may have unintentionally mislabeled it. I got this material from my brother whom works at a large printing company. And they throw this stuff away, sometimes in huge sheets. Ive. bccactually used it to line half whiskey barrels to make container water gardens. 5 years so far and still holding water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A buddy of mine used it for a camper skirt he had hdpre . But after working all over this country one thing i have learned is the same product often has different names for their area. Like a hoggie in pa or a sub in new england and coldcut out west.

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and replace the whole liner. In a year you'll forget what it cost but if you don't replace it, you will remember how much time and effort you spent trying to save a few bucks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hdrpe has it's own method i believe it's a caulking.

RPE liners can be welded just like pvc, but believe the temperature is different. Never tried welding pvc. You can also use a seam tape, but I’ve never tried that either, so not sure if it’s the same stuff as EPDM or something different.

In any case, heat welding is a finicky process that takes some practice. Wouldn’t dream of trying it in the pond without mastering it in the garage first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have done heat welding with pvc that was some thick tough stuff. I covered a mechanic tool box in it that sat out in my truck out doors. It was severely abused with dump runs picking up stock from concrete reinforcing mesh you name it. I'd have no quarm about using pvc for like a raised pond or bog . But for something with all the angles and heights of my pond not a chance. It's less flexible than here or pvc and .060 epdm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
new one is that poly type liner from Home Depot
I have not seen what the depot is selling personaly but a quick search says it's Linear Low-Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) LOW density to me means the cells are not compacted tightly meaning it is flexable, PE = POLYETHALENE is the go to plastic for food and liquid containers. i have no idea if it will withstand the test of time , like hdrpe or epdm or how durable it is. I can say it looks like seam tape that can be used for epdm and hdrpe is apparently the same as with lldp

Ask a Question