Too much water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I recently had a new pond and waterfall installed and all has gone great so far. Last night we had a very heavy rain and the water came up 2+ inches. As a result the skimmer is below the water line and the debris is not getting drawn off the pond. Do I just wait for evaporation to bring it back down or is it normal to use a pump to bring it back down?

Also it appears that the waterfall is creating a small amount of surface foam after the rain. Normal?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine overfills quite often after rain, I just let it equalize by itself, I don't worry if the skimmer is not drawing for a bit. Yes you can get foam after a good rain fall, various stuff can get washed into the water, dust dirt pollen.

Welcome to our forum!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1568228673242.gif
@Elarson5757

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This doesn't make sense. You want your pond to be full.
If your pond is full and your skimmer is underwater, doesn't that mean your skimmer is mounted too low?
When the water is at the level of the skimmer, is your liner exposed above that point?
If your skimmer is cut into your liner, I guess it has to stay that way.
If it doesn't naturally drain off to meet the skimmer, you may have to create a low point or a drain-off pipe to keep the water at skimmer level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I'm just wondering...when the water is at the proper skimmer level, how does the pond look? What I mean is, does the pond look as though it's not full? Is the liner exposed all around? Or are there stones and such in place to hide the liner? If so, no big deal. Just creat a low point somewhere to keep it at skimmer level.

Maybe some pictures would help us guide you better. Plus we like pictures anyway!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep, it depends. Yours looks great! What is that tan exposed part? Stone or some type of liner?

But if there was an exposed black epdm liner it might not look so good.
It’s Rock on a Roll..... not the best/natural look but better than the wrinkled 45 mil edpm. When you put rectangular edpm in a round hole you are going to have wrinkles, so the ROR is about the only option on a vertical surface short of doing stone masonry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Actually it looks better now that it has some age and stuff growing on it, even above the water level a form of moss grows on it

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My pond will fill up above the weir to my skimmer box, before it overflows through the rock edge. The edge of my pond has rock extending under the water a good 10” or more on a shelf, so the water in my pond can change as much as a foot and you wouldn’t see the liner.

As was mentioned you may want to set a low edge so the water will only fill so high. I don’t really worry about as I don’t get that much floating debris in the pond, and the skimmer will still pull the floating debris I do get over to it even when the weir is underwater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The pond can come up about 1.5 inches and be over the weir on the skimmer. At about 2.5 inches it would overflow the rubber liner on a low side and level itself. It's surrounded by rock with zero liner exposed. The rock sticks up on the sides quite a bit higher than the liner.
IMG_0833.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg

Ask a Question