Too soon to shut down the pump?

Reaction score
Hi everyone - sorry to bother you with another question. After the heron attack a few weeks ago, all of my fish took refuge in the cave I put in and haven't emerged since. This past week I could hear that my pump seemed to be struggling, probably gummed up with stuff and needing a cleaning, so I turned it off thinking that it's time to shut it down for the impending winter anyway. Now I'm wondering if that was a good thing to do or not? It's in the 50s during the day here and mid 30s at night with water temp around 45. Should I clean the pump and turn it back on for another few weeks or is it okay now to shut it down? Thanks for your input.
Beth

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would not shut it down until you see ice on the pond. Then you will want an air pump to keep some circulation and a hole in the ice.By all means keep it clean!!!
There are other here more experienced than me on this subject. Maybe someone will chime in.

Reaction score
I am in MA and have never shut my pump down until it can no long keep a hole in the ice. Of course last year I waited a little to long and pumped out a lot of my water. The good thing is I learned a lesson and all of my fish survived.

stopbanks

Stop Banks
Reaction score
I agree with your views that this past week I could hear that my pump seemed to be struggling, probably gummed up with stuff and needing a cleaning, so I turned it off thinking that it's time to shut it down for the impending winter anyway.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Last year I turned it off on Thanksgiving day and regretted it! It is still beautiful to look at with the falls and everything, and I've rigged the leaf net so that the fox and birds can still get a drink in the falls. I also have a de--icer that keeps the surface water a little warmer. This year I'll watch the weather report and if it looks like the falls could freeze and dam, then I'll turn off the pump.

Ask a Question