Took Over A Pond - Questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My wife and I bought a foreclosed house in NJ which we are fixing up. The house has been empty for nearly 3 years, which means the pond has been neglected for 3 years.
I've never owned a pond but was excited when I saw it. Now im at the point where I would like to get it working. First off the electrical seems to be shot, so im having an electrician come soon. But first off I trying to clean everyone out. I dont know the exact size, i would say about 8 feet across, maybe 2-3 feet deep, small waterfall. Its full of leaves from the last few years so I'm pulling them out. As I drag a light rake along the liner, it feels like there is a layer of "muck", all along the bottom, probably from decaying leaves for years. Im wondering if all that "muck" can stay, or am I going to have to pull the entire liner? Or, should I drust drain the pond the best I can and try to clean the liner by hand?
I can attach pictures if that helps, hope to hear from you,
Thanks,
Bill

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
Bill glad you joined!

I would drain, muck it out, clean well, fresh water. But now that you do that wait wait wait before you put a lot of fish in. The pond will need to cycle. Get a liquid test kit, so you can track your water parameters. If you have a shop vac, once it is drained you could use it to help clean out the muck. A swimming pool net works great for getting muck out.

You don't need to pull the liner, just clean it without punching any holes in it. The liner should be in fine shape. If it is not, they you would need to pull it.

A plastic shovel works great too, if you are draining it.

Post some pictures helps us visualize what you are asking about

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
congrats on your new home and all the muck will have to come out .I guess there are no fish so no harm in starting over .Some leaves can actually be more toxic than others but being in there for that long I'm sure it must smell really bad .Watch out for mosquito's a bite from them can make you really sick .That water has been sitting there and since i know NJ is famous for them (lived there most of my life ) wear gloves protect yourself also with a face mask of some sorts .Don't breathe anything in around the pond and watch out for spiders and ticks .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! How exciting a pond you can fix up :)

As the others said, drain it and muck it out, refill then let it run for 2-4 weeks before adding any fish then add them slowely.

Since you have to drain it anyway it would be a good time to make any changes you want. You could change the rocks around the border, remove rocks from the bottom if you like and maybe plan the landscaping around it while you are at it. What a fun project!

Post pictures of it now and then throughout the process. We love pictures :)

Once it is up and running you will love it! There is nothing like a pretty pond in your yard for enjoyment.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bugwelcome1.gif
Bill
Yep you got your work cut out for ya but you can make it into a really nice place to sit and enjoy your fish. It's quite calming and you will soon be as hooked as we all are figuring out............"now lets see what can I do next..............stream, bog, oh boy the idea's are limitless!"

Reaction score
Here are some pictures. My other concern is all the aquatic plants that were in there have multiplies over and over and now come summer there will be so many lillies you wont see any water.

Attachments

• 0320121146a.jpg
    0320121146a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 400
  • 0320121146b.jpg
    0320121146b.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 450
  • 0320121146c.jpg
    0320121146c.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 407

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Groom the lilies, keep a few tubers of each (since you don't know the colors) and post on craigs list FREE lilies. If nobody wants them, they make good compost. You have to be brutal, like trimming a bush that has over grown.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow when you said it was a mess you did not say horror show mess

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It could be a really nice looking pond if you get in there and fix it all up. Just roll up your sleeves and get out there and start and once you get started you will feel good about it and you won't be able to quit. We will root for you as you go and show us pictures as you get stuff cleaned up. Show us the piles of grimey, grubby stuff and everything you do. We are freaks on this kind of stuff,lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is part of our pond nature..............grimey grubby freaks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did the spring muk out of my pond a couple weekends ago. I used a large net and netted out the bottom into a big tub I then dumped it in the garden. It always amazes me at how bad it stinks when you pull that net out of the water. That is total nastiness! And for some reason is good to grow food in... Strange thing it is.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Weird, my muck didn't stink, smelled just like a pond. Now if you let it sit in the sun for a day before getting rid of then it stinks. But it is never more than 1/2 inch thick. The lilies, when grooming them, did not even smell bad.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never get that much mock i try to keep up the bottom cleaning .But then my pond is not that big so it is easier .Now seeding ,fertilizing and liming the yard is another story .Then had to mulch all my gardens and 6 truckloads and i'm still not done .# acres is just to much to keep up with ,but worth it when i'm done and can sit back and enjoy

Reaction score
Just read this thread and I can't wait to see progress! Good Luck! Lots of friendly people here with all the answers to all of your questions! I met them all last year when I was tired of looking into a green pond for 12 years. With their guidance my pond is crystal clear and I enjoy it so much more!

Ask a Question