6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Tootie, Welcome. Why do you think so many fry survived? Usually the parents eat the vast majority of the eggs and fry is you don't separate them.

Reaction score
I have no idea why they survived! I'm sure there were some that didn't but I discovered them when i dipped a white bucket into the pond to test the water. There were so many pin dot fish in there i couldn't believe it. At one point we counted over 200 when there were big enough to see. I still have 60 some in the pond and we've given away the rest. Most of them are about 2 21/2 inches long now. I have a person who is taking a lot of them next week. Most of the babies are gold but there are about 6 really brightly colored ones. I'm keeping them!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always try to keep the different looking ones too or the pretty ones .I wanted black ones and these are all black but problem is they change colors .I had one black one for five years and he just decided to change colors one day I guess he is going incognito .Have no clue who he is hiding from LOL

Reaction score
I didn't think that I had any black ones then 4 appeared this spring. Wonder how long they keep changing? I gave my son about a dozen to keep inside this winter and some of his changed colors too. Odd but then I don't know much about them, except that I really enjoy them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tootie, That's natural selection at work. The ones that start out black or tan fry can hide more easily. The ones that start out brightly colored get eaten first because mom and dad don't recognize them as goldfish until they are about 1/2 in long. I think you had so many because the adults were enjoying the warm jacussi (deicer) and didn't hunt them down in the colder parts of the pond. PS. Say hi to the blowfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tootie SONG LYRICS
by
Hootie & The Blowfish
You put a rose in my hand
Put a dollar in my pocket
You don't understand
Now the days grow longer,
The sky is black at night
I see the mornin, but you don't see the light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought because this was a pond forum you were being clever by using something from Hootie and the Blowfish. "Tootie" must have a different origin!

Reaction score
oh I get it!!!! I'm a little slow on the uptake. It's Tootie. that really is my nickname and has been since I was 5. Cousin took me to see movie with the Little Tugboat named Toot! The little tug was always getting into trouble so.....she started called me little toot and it stuck! I was out admiring my fish today and every step I took they were following me. Love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, Thats funny. Good nickname. Glad I didn't include the 2nd lyric. Good luck with the pond. I had the same thing with the deicer last year with my fish and it didn't seem natural with all the fish hanging around it. This year I switched to an air pump and an airstone. All 11 of my fish made it through the winter in perfect health without having to run a hot tub in my backyard over the winter for them!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My five little fish did fine with nothing, it started freezing here before we got our system up and running. The ice was at one time 8 inches think, thankfully, the deer kept walking on the pond. But my pond at is deepest is around 5 feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichV

Latest Threads