total beginner

Reaction score
Hi all
Just a few short lines
I'm a pond beginner infact I've have not even started it yet,was helping a friend move house and came across a 7x4x3 foot thick plastic tank so thought of using it for a pond my idea's are as follows (remember ive not got a clue ) dig a hole for tank then line it ,I believe the tank would hold about 1600litres of water so would need advice on the best filters,pumps to use and such like,my son has said he would like koi, from what I've read this tank would be to small he then said dig a hole deeper say 4 1/2 foot and use the tank as the centre of the pond leaving a 1 1/2 deep round out side
Any help or thinking like you don't want to do it like that here's a better idea would be great ,infact any tipbits would he considered very helpful
Sorry to ramble on
Thanks in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

To our group

So you are thinking of putting the tub in deep and have a dug out edge around it to make the pond bigger? Would you line everything? a little lost on your thoughts

Reaction score
Yes that's right would line it as well ,have put picture of tank as my profile image ,it will be hot pressure washed before using

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not just dig the size you want, line it, and use the tank for one huge filter, a lily pond, a plant pond or whatever gets your fancy.
Or use the tank for a smaller pond that flows into your new liner pond.

Reaction score
I hear what your saying and thanks for your input ,I have a limited amount of space left, it can only go where it is in picture would prefer to use tank as if didn't would have dispose of it as no where to put it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well just a suggestion, stick with subunkins or gold fish, koi get pretty darn big and need good filtration to keep them happy.

That looks like it would be a good place for the pond.

Reaction score
Is it easy to sorce materials to make a filter as I also have a smaller white tank 3x1x3 deep ,on looking at some on line they look quite a simple idea

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So true, check the diy section here, there are a lot of ideas on homemade filters.

Reaction score
Yes smaller more easier to keep fish would be ok with me ,its what I was going to get an till my son got big ideas he will get bored half way though digging I hope

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and does it need lined ,meaning do you see any holes in it .I Would still line because with my luck I get it in the ground and it does not leak and month later it is leaking .No luck here I have had to replace my liner 2 times once to go bigger and then a dog ripped the new one .Couldn't have ripped the old liner ,no to easy ,had to be the new one :razz:

Reaction score
Yes would prefer to line it not that it would ever leak but due to it having caustic cleaning solution stored in it before I got it ,as i said its going to be steam cleaned but you never know if you get it completely clean deep down. have looked at DIY section couldnt wait till tomorrow and it looks quite simple to make one why ever are they so expensive ,will I need a uv light want to try and get the best set up possible

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
firewelcome.gif
drlog147
Well I first looked at the photo of your avatar before I read your post. Thought what a different idea using a coffin as a pond! Then read your post :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi drlog147. Welcome. i guess the point is why even bother using it? I think your liner is going to get bunched up in it and cause more trouble than it's worth. I find that by sloping my pond down to the bottom it is easier to clean and get things out that fall in. For instance a raccoon knocked one of my potted lilies to the bottom of my pond last night. Still trying to figure how to get it out!

Ask a Question