total disaster

Reaction score
urgent ! need help i have a small pond prob about 300 gallon at the min which i am using as a holding tank my water is quite murky but have tested for ph amonina and nitrate all seem very good i have many plants a waterfall and air pump running constently over the last month or so i have had many fish die koi and goldfish they started showng signs parasites so i treated them acordingly this didnt work and i saw signs of cotton wool like strands from the gils i have regularly salted water and tryed anti fungus .they dont seam to have any energy and seem to dift about on the top or swim into a corner and not move. i am running out of ideas and really want to get them well before finishing off my bigger pond and intoducing them to it please please can u help thanks rob

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
300 gallon tank, how many fish were in it before they started dying, how many now, and what size, have all the dead fish been removed and accounted for, I don't see filtering is there one and if so what. At this point it's going to be process of elimination,
I would not plan on moving those fish to your new pond. If you have fish isolated that are having issues you sure don't want to add them to your new pond any time soon and surely not until your 100% sure you have it under control. The question still lies in what is causing this. Think back when it first started, what changed, what got added or removed, what enviromentaly may have happened, rain, sleet snow, leaves in pond, tadpoles. So many things.to consider. In most case several dying fish can be linked back to one source.

Reaction score
there were aprox 15 koi rangeing from 5cm to 30 cm and 2 orf about 20cm i found the last one of the koi this morning on the top blown up covered in green slime not seen it for a few days presumed it dead the orf still look heathy i have 2 filters a small presurised one and a box type with foam and plastic pipe type media running though in total 35w uv there is a conefur tree next door which could have lost leafs into pond allso i keep chickens in a pen a couple meters away any ideas thanks for replying

Reaction score
You are holding 15 small to mid sized koi in 300 gallons of water? I cant believe you would measure no ammonia and no nitrites. Have the water tested by your pond shop or koi doctor, or buy a fresh test kit. Also be sure to test nitrites, rather than nitrates.

If by some miracle the water is actually good (honestly, those filters would have to be damn good!), or even when it isnt, you mention parasites, but there are many of them and most require different treatment, and its entirely possible they suffer from secondary infections and thus more than one illness. You need to have the fish scraped and scoped. If you cant do it yourself, bring one to someone who can.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm with Vertigo, Go get your water tested and check against your kit. If you have a fish that has been dead in there long enough to grow green slime all over and it floated up, decomp. had already set in, Ammonia levels should be high Nitites should be high, 15 fish in a 300 gallon pond, with really good filtration the max level should have been no more than 15-2" fish, or 10-3" fish or 6- 5" fish ( this is my stocking level and with 6 -5" fish and plenty of filtration I still can get some nitrite (very low) but some readings. and I can after feedings even notice small increases in ammonia with a drop kit for a few hours after a feeding. Oh and the #'s of fish above are for a heavily stocked 300 gallon pond, 1" of fish per 10 gallons of water is a heavy stocked system in anyone's book, reduce your fish population to below 1" per ten gallons, better would be 1" per 20 gallons, get water tested and then do water changes. You have so many things that could be going wrong due to fish overload it's hard to begin where to start. better filtration, better maintance program, lower the fish load, clean the filters, do water changes are the most obvious choices at this point.

Ask a Question