Total Newbie - convert swimming pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
IMG_20200509_165543.jpg
IMG_20200603_115645_01.jpg

I have an unused swimming pool, it does hold water. No power or filter in place, the cover has been on for about 10 years.

Deep end is about 8 feet. Live in northern westchester NY so summers can get hot and humid and every winter has a cold spell where there are a couple weeks with temps below freezing.

I am interested in converting to a fish (koi goldfish) pond but want to test the waters first and not brake the bank.

There's wetlands behind the property so there's geese, small wildlife, and many snapping turtles. Even garden snakes. Lots of sun so something solar-powered would be interesting and fun...

I contacted some local resources but they wanted to do a full landscaping job costing $$$. (50-75K was one quote).

Looking to test the waters (pun intended), a proof of concept, not break the bank, and build it out gradually.

What would be the realistic minimum i need to do to get this started, with the idea of adding to it each year,or splurge if I fall in love with it?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Generally when converting a pool most of the pool is back filled with dirt leaving between 3 to 5 feet, creating layers and shelves, only a small portion being that deep. Then it is lined with EPDM and underlayment, stacked with rocks and boulders. Filter systems can get pricey and from this site most will recommend designing a bog aka wetlands filter which will offer ease of maintenance and crystal clear health water. The whole build will be expensive but I would think you could do it for a lot less than what you were quoted.
look for builds done by the Pond Hunter on YouTube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are a few folks on koiphen.com who have converted their pools to ponds. I'm sure they would be happy to help you if you want to give them a look

Ask a Question