Total Pond Newbie, from Washington State!

Reaction score
Hey all!

First of all, this is a great forum! Thank-you! This whole freshwater pond stuff is like greek to me. I have a successful saltwater reef tank, but... :confused:

Anyway, I moved in with my girlfriend a few months back, and guess what? POND!!!

Here is what we have:

Start, DIRTY!
C360_2011-05-1416-07-17.jpg

C360_2011-05-1416-06-06.jpg

Clean!
C360_2011-05-2011-56-31.jpg

C360_2011-05-2018-31-29.jpg

C360_2011-05-2018-31-11.jpg

C360_2011-05-2018-30-01.jpg

C360_2011-05-2018-30-21.jpg

Pond has been running with water for a month now, and tomorrow we are off to get some plants, along with a couple of Goldfish!

Wish me luck, and thanks for having me!

David

:alieneyesa:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome! nice pond there.

welcome670.jpg

Do you have any filtration going, pump, etc? Since you scrubbed it clean be careful about adding fish, the pond will need to cycle now. But it was good to get the junk out of the bottom. If you have a filter, and did not clean it real well, it will help with the pond cycle.

Get a liquid test kit to keep track of water parameters.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
Start out with only a few to get the bio system started. When you add more, do it a few at a time and check your water parameters often. This pond will only be capable of handling small fish and I would go more than 6 -10 tops.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome david 2 for 1 deal huh LOL .Hope you enjoy both lucky guy .

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone!!! :regular_waving_emot

J.W. - That's awesome! I actually work in Arlington, and have a house in Smokey Point!!!

Small world!!!

David

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can spot JW a mile awhile too .She's the one walking funny with all the rocks in her pockets and dragging a treasure home LOL She's not a bag lady ,just a treasure seeker

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard!:regular_waving_emot Nice little prform set up. If you can keep a reef a pond can be simple. Word of advise, NO KOI, LOL seriously. Stay with small fish and just a few when it when it comes time to add. Fancy fantail goldfish say three or so would be a nice display that could be managed will in that pond, Very neat addition to the yard, compliments it very well!

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Welcome aboard!:) Nice little prform set up. If you can keep a reef a pond can be simple. Word of advise, NO KOI, LOL seriously. Stay with small fish and just a few when it when it comes time to add. Fancy fantail goldfish say three or so would be a nice display that could be managed will in that pond, Very neat addition to the yard, compliments it very well!

How the heck did I miss this? Thanks for the welcome, fishin'!

Nope... No KOI!!! We picked up two Comets, and a Shubunkin! Also bought 6 Hyacinths as well!!!

Now, I just need to figure out a filter to build... Any ideas??? :confused:

Thanks,
David

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Try looking at the DIY section here in the forum, there are several great builds here that you make make at home and get great filtering for half the $$ of a off the shelf type. I'm reading a article in Ponds USA magazine that I picked up at petsmart this weekend that has a great article of bog garden filters, another great option that can bring even more life to your yard!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey David, that's neat that you work out here in my neck o' the woods. I'm gonna find some shubunkins also for my pond. Right now I just have the goldies. Did you find the Hyacinth local or did you have to order it online? I have had it in my pond before but it didn't seem to want to grow. Just turned brown and then to mush. I hear that they like to be bunched together in a group maybe in a floating plant ring. Anyways good luck on them and happy pondering :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some floating free, (they broke loose of the floating rope corral) not doing as well as the roped ones.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Try looking at the DIY section here in the forum, there are several great builds here that you make make at home and get great filtering for half the $$ of a off the shelf type. I'm reading a article in Ponds USA magazine that I picked up at petsmart this weekend that has a great article of bog garden filters, another great option that can bring even more life to your yard!
I've been reading the DIY section, and some great ideas for sure! I just can't decide which route I want to take! :)

j.w said:
Hey David, that's neat that you work out here in my neck o' the woods. I'm gonna find some shubunkins also for my pond. Right now I just have the goldies. Did you find the Hyacinth local or did you have to order it online? I have had it in my pond before but it didn't seem to want to grow. Just turned brown and then to mush. I hear that they like to be bunched together in a group maybe in a floating plant ring. Anyways good luck on them and happy pondering :lol:
Yep!!! I grew up in Stanwood, and have been in the area my whole life. This is the furthest south I've ever lived! LOL!!!
We made a trip to Russell Watergarden & Koi in Redmond. They had tons of Hyacinth! Pretty neat place actually!

Ask a Question