Totally weird question, but is there anything I can do for fish that accidentally ate salt?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I was eating a large salted pretzel near our pond when my daughter asked where her fish was. I pointed, and the act of pointing caused a single large grain of coarse salt to fall into the pond, which was immediately eaten by a 4” shubunkin before I could do anything. The fish did not spit it out. The only thing I could think was to give it more food to help slow the absorption - there are no emetics for fish, are there? Any thoughts on what’s likely to happen?

Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A small piece of salt is not going to hurt a fish. There are people who keep salt levels in their ponds. Its an old school idea but one little bit of salt is nothing to worry about. I would not try to fix the situation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
A small piece of salt is not going to hurt a fish. There are people who keep salt levels in their ponds. Its an old school idea but one little bit of salt is nothing to worry about. I would not try to fix the situation
thanks, it just seemed like a concentrated amount of undiluted salt for a relatively small fish. I mean, we humans typically only consume a teaspoon of salt over the course of an entire day :) But no doubt you are right!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You would be surprised at how much salt we actually consume in a day. Almost everything we eat contains salt. Unless you are reading labels, it's probably more like 2 tablespoons a day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
You would be surprised at how much salt we actually consume in a day. Almost everything we eat contains salt. Unless you are reading labels, it's probably more like 2 tablespoons a day.
I actually have a chronic illness that requires me to consume far more salt than the average person. I know it seems like we must eat tablespoons of salt a day, but we definitely don't. The average daily salt intake for an adult in the US is 3400 mg of sodium (recommended is less than 2000mg), which is the equivalent of 8.5 grams of NaCl/table salt, or 1.4 teaspoons of salt, and the recommended amount is 5 grams, which is less than a single teaspoon of salt.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Average person - yes. Anyone who regularly eats out, no. Several years ago I went to a gym where we monitored nutrition. Tha amount of salt in restaurant food and fast food is insane!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU'LL GET THOSE NUMBERS FROM SOFT DRINKS

Ask a Question