tough love?

Reaction score
hi guys heres a pic of my pond, its roughly 1.7m x 1.7m and 850 deep.
Cornwall-20110822-00091.jpg

its home to 6 4- 6" koi
4 comets. and a tench

may be over stcoked but water is perfect.

my question is the koi after 2months still we not swim or eat freely if i am present if i stand out of sight there straight up grabin what food they can.

would it be worth throwing in some food and staying there, ten after 5-10mins if they havnt shown remove the food???

thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tried sitting by the pond, not standing? A standing person sometimes looks like a threat to them ie predator.

oh and I like your pond, very nice look

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good advice Addy. And pretty soon, they will come up every time you walk up to them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe also when you feed them you could give them just a tiny bit, not enough to even feed them all so they get a taste but will be wanting for more. Than come back several times a day and do the same so they are hungry and associate you w/ food.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Welcome to our HUMBLE group...yeah right!....seriously we're mostly freindly folk. i like your pond. especially if your tight for space.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our HUMBLE group...yeah right!....seriously we're mostly freindly folk. i like your pond. especially if your tight for space.
roflmao koiguy! geez telling our secrets!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've had my koi for the previous two years in a *much* smaller pond, where they had little room to swim around or hide. Two things have changed this year... First, I now have a much larger and deeper pond, so if they feel threatened they can actually swim away. Second, I started shaking the cup full of pellet food every day when I went out to feed them. Somebody mentioned to me that the fish can hear you if you call to them or make a noise, so I shake the food, and they know that I'm coming.

This is the first year that any of my fish have come up when I approach the pond. Now that the large koi are coming, the smaller ones follow, so there is a frenzy of fish looking for more food.

Ask a Question